Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
Hey I haven't posted much in this group since my kinds aren't in school yet. Well today I registered my oldest into Kindergarten today and found out it is all day. I don't know how I feel about it, I was emotional about him going half days. Well I just needed to get that off my chest and see if anyone else's kids went to all day kindergarten and how they adjusted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:21 PM
Replies (31-40):
DomsMom8207
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 2:19 PM
My son will start in august and its only for 4 hours. Pre k was for 3 so im ok with it but i definately would have some seperation anxiety if it were for all day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tara922c
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

DD went to an all day pre-school so I am not too worried about it. My best advice is to make the good-byes short and sweet on the first few days. The longer you linger, the harder it will be on your child. Make sure to take him to open house/meet the teacher if he has one! Talk to him about what to do if he has to use the restroom or needs to ask a question. Also, be prepared for him to be exhausted after school for the first week or so! Find out if the school takes naps, and if the school does not and your child does, you may want to practice no naps! Practicing a strict bedtime/wake-up time/routine is not a bad idea either! He will be JUST fine, but the first few days may be tough.

trae1982
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 2:35 PM
Thank you so much! That is great advice!!!

Quoting Tara922c:

DD went to an all day pre-school so I am not too worried about it. My best advice is to make the good-byes short and sweet on the first few days. The longer you linger, the harder it will be on your child. Make sure to take him to open house/meet the teacher if he has one! Talk to him about what to do if he has to use the restroom or needs to ask a question. Also, be prepared for him to be exhausted after school for the first week or so! Find out if the school takes naps, and if the school does not and your child does, you may want to practice no naps! Practicing a strict bedtime/wake-up time/routine is not a bad idea either! He will be JUST fine, but the first few days may be tough.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tara922c
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

No problem! I was a student teacher last year in a kindergarten classroom. Once the parents left, the kids were fine! We kept the kids so busy they didn't have time to miss home! My dd starts this year and I know she will be fine, but I worry about the ratio of students to teacher!

If it makes you feel better, the parents cry more than the kids!

Quoting trae1982:

Quoting Tara922c:

pookienbobosmom
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I had the opposite problem..my olest had 1/2 day kindergarten and it was horrible. It wasn't enough time to learn much and the teacher had 3.5hrs to teach 20+ kids. It left oldest DD hating school, not being prepared for 1st grade and a number of other things. DS started Kindergarten last year (full day) and did wonderful! Great grades, LOVES school, etc. I will say part of DD's problem, maybe most of it was the teacher herself. She was a mean old lady who should have never been teaching kids that young :\

trae1982
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 3:05 PM
Lol yea I hear the parents are the ones that are emotional a lot. My son did go to pre-k for 3 hrs twice a week and he was fine with it but I was emotional about that at first.

Quoting Tara922c:

No problem! I was a student teacher last year in a kindergarten classroom. Once the parents left, the kids were fine! We kept the kids so busy they didn't have time to miss home! My dd starts this year and I know she will be fine, but I worry about the ratio of students to teacher!

If it makes you feel better, the parents cry more than the kids!

Quoting trae1982:

Quoting Tara922c:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trae1982
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 3:08 PM
Comments like this makes me feel a little better that he is going all day. I know it will be a little tough for me to let go but I am sure he will be just fine.

Quoting pookienbobosmom:

I had the opposite problem..my olest had 1/2 day kindergarten and it was horrible. It wasn't enough time to learn much and the teacher had 3.5hrs to teach 20+ kids. It left oldest DD hating school, not being prepared for 1st grade and a number of other things. DS started Kindergarten last year (full day) and did wonderful! Great grades, LOVES school, etc. I will say part of DD's problem, maybe most of it was the teacher herself. She was a mean old lady who should have never been teaching kids that young :\

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 4:59 PM
2 moms liked this
Our K us full day and has been for a VERY long time.

I can't fathom a half day program. Your kiddo will love it!!!
education_mom
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Hi, did your child go to preschool? If so was that half day? I'm actually jealous that your school has full day! It gives the teacher more time to balance between academics and art,music, and play. It allows for a holistic program (in my opinion).  In CA, it's half day in most districts, it isn't required by law to even attend K, and if you do want a full day, districts usually charge for it or you have to go to private school. This is our current dilemma--public or private. I wrote about it on educationmom. Google it if you're interested since I am not allowed to post a URL. 

Put up a strong front when you drop your child off (int he fall). Kids are so much stronger sometimes than we are, but s/he will respond by taking cues from you. If you have to cry, try and do it after you leave (out of sight). That's what I did when I dropped our kids off at preschool for the first time. Good luck to you! :) 

Mommy_Jenx3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 6:01 PM
All we have is all day here. I went to half day when I was a kid, but obviously that was a long time ago. I honestly wouldn't want half day if we had the choice. I feel it's more beneficial for them to go all day. You guys will both adjust to it and be fine.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN