Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
Hey I haven't posted much in this group since my kinds aren't in school yet. Well today I registered my oldest into Kindergarten today and found out it is all day. I don't know how I feel about it, I was emotional about him going half days. Well I just needed to get that off my chest and see if anyone else's kids went to all day kindergarten and how they adjusted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:21 PM
Replies (41-46):
vermontmoms
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 6:04 PM
Same here!!! Mine were worn out everyday. I definitely wouldn't sign your child up for an evening sport that runs for more than 1x a week the first few months. They are just too tired! Other than that they did fine and had a blast!!!

Quoting balagan_imma:

All 3 of my kids went full day. The school didn't offer a choice. And it was a loooong day 8:15-3:40. They thrived and have loved school ever since (and my oldest will be going into 9th in the fall, so I get the emotional part.) The upside was that they napped on the weekends, which meant a little adult time for DH and I.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momto3infl
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 6:49 PM
all my kids went all day. They did great and i never worried. didn't worry due to how they were. Kids feed off our emotions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
balagan_imma
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 7:04 PM

True. My DD once fell asleep at the dinner table after a long week plus gymnastics class on a Friday afternoon. And that was in 1st grade.

Quoting vermontmoms:

Same here!!! Mine were worn out everyday. I definitely wouldn't sign your child up for an evening sport that runs for more than 1x a week the first few months. They are just too tired! Other than that they did fine and had a blast!!!

Quoting balagan_imma:

All 3 of my kids went full day. The school didn't offer a choice. And it was a loooong day 8:15-3:40. They thrived and have loved school ever since (and my oldest will be going into 9th in the fall, so I get the emotional part.) The upside was that they napped on the weekends, which meant a little adult time for DH and I.

Ametrine
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Our son was registered for Kindergarten last month.  It's full-day from 8:15-3:00.

The principal said that the first pilot group of full-day Kindergarteners just finished third grade and the test scores show a huge improvement over the prior class that had been in Kindergarten half-days.

The full-day program works well to help kids do well.  Yes, they are tired for a couple of weeks as they adjust.  If you school doesn't acknowledge they need more "down time" then there is cause for concern.  They also need more "up time" in the playground...boys especially. 

Our children need to compete globally now.  Let's give them all the advantages we can.

M.I.L.F201
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 7:12 PM
My son went to all day daycare since 7 weeks old. And all day pre-k and now all day kinder. I am very involved in school. I'm class mom, in the pta, volunteer once or twice a week in the classroom and attend every trip. Even the ones to the public library 2 blocks away. Get involved as much as possible. It will be fullfilling for you both. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
janitablue
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 7:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Hugs   Kindergarten is a special milestone for you and your son. Don't sweat the small 

stuff you will have wonderful stories of school, field trip, and special art work that he will bring home from his day at school.

Enjoy this special milestone before you know he will be graduating from high school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)