Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birthday Party Etiquette

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 1:03 PM
  • 46 Replies
I sent out invitations for my daughters 6th birthday. She wanted to include all of the little girls in her class so I obliged. I am now having to hunt down RSVPs so that I know how much food to have and how many treat bags to prepare which I find irritating. Today I had a Mom whom I do not know ask if her younger daughter could also attend. My daughter has never met this girl. I feel that this is rude and personally I think that all children with siblings need to learn that sometimes you don't get to go everywhere your big sister/brother goes. I didn't want to be rude so I said yes but I think that it was innapropriate of this Mom to ask. Am I overreacting?
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chinosruca
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 1:11 PM
It doesn't bother me when people ask. I'm positive not everyone who is invited will come, so it's fine. The more kids, the more fun it is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 1:15 PM
3 moms liked this
Where is the party?

If its somewhere that you are paying a per child fee, then I would tell them Mom no or she can pay the $ to have her child participate.

If its just an at home party, I would tell her she may come play but you only have goodie bags for invited guests.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 1:18 PM
The whole family always comes to my kids parties. Siblings and parents are included in food and such.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Like Jinx said, it depends on the location of the party.  You have to realize at this age many parents don't drop their children off at a birthday party.  This mom may not have had a sitter for the younger one and if the younger one wasn't permitted, then the older one wouldn't be able to attend either.

mumsy2three
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 1:27 PM

This~

Quoting steelcrazy:

Like Jinx said, it depends on the location of the party.  You have to realize at this age many parents don't drop their children off at a birthday party.  This mom may not have had a sitter for the younger one and if the younger one wasn't permitted, then the older one wouldn't be able to attend either.

MB13
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Are you expecting the parents to stay at the party or just drop off?  If they are staying, she may not have had babysitting available for the younger child.  If they are dropping off the children, then this is just plain rude!  She probably wants free babysitting to have an afternoon off!

Xynyth
by Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I think it would have been more innapropriate for the mom NOT to ask, KWIM?

At least if she asks you both can make appropriate plans.

I hate when people don't RSVP too, and I usually end up planning for everyone to attend just in case.

MB13
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I've had people call when I am having a party and explain a situation like they have a cousin visiting from out of town so they won't be able to attend.  That opens the door for me to either say bring the cousin, or I'm sorry, we will miss seeing your child.  But they didn't just flat out ask to bring an uninvited guest.

JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 1:41 PM

At least she was nice enough to let you know. NOT ONE person RSVPed for my ODD party and so I made enough food to feed everyone that I invited. And made goody bags for every kid which turned out to be 10 by my count. Except one mom brought 3 boys, not the 2 I knew she had, and I ended up sending one of my girl's goody bags home with them. And the one I didn't know about was because he was older, like 8, so I had almost nothing for his age to do. 

Mamamoulton
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Parents are just dropping off. This particular Mom has 5 kids 6 and under so I think she is just looking to unload more than one. It is at our home so it is not that I have to spend a lot more money I just found it rude and was wondering if I was the only one. I have always included siblings when they are families that we spend a lot of time with and my daughter knows and plays with.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)