Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do you think school emphasis more on extracurricular activities than education

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 8:01 PM
  • 9 Replies

Do you thinks school emphasis more on extracurricular activities ? Should the schools get rid of extracurricular acitivites and focus more on student education. Focus on the student education will allowed student not to take remedial course in colleges and perform better in college and work force.  What are your thoughts?

by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 8:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SahmTam
by Tammy on Jun. 19, 2012 at 8:09 PM

So far I've not noticed this, but my kids are going into 6th, 3rd, and 2nd grades, which are all still elementary school here. Not sure what it will be like in middle and high school (even though it's the same middle and high school I went to and extracurriculars weren't emphasized over education then, but that was 20 years ago and I don't know what it's like now).

my4littlegirls
by and 1 boy on Jun. 19, 2012 at 8:15 PM
I think it depends on the school. My dd1 goes to a HS that is acedemic minded but can play sports for her "home" school. Her home school is geared more for sports though as long as your a boy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JeremysMom
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 8:26 PM
I think that both can be achieved. Our high school is in the top 3% for academics and they are big on football and other sports.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Studies have shown that students who are involved in extra curriculars at school are better students. So to answer the question, as a teacher for 20 years at a high school, no I do not. I think being well-rounded is VERY important!
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 8:56 PM
This. If someone is all books and no fun they will burn out faster. Sports keeps the mind and body active.

Quoting mjande4:

Studies have shown that students who are involved in extra curriculars at school are better students. So to answer the question, as a teacher for 20 years at a high school, no I do not. I think being well-rounded is VERY important!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
karisma22
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:53 PM

All our school's seems to care about is test scores.

TJFBGMommy
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 11:19 PM

That is the one thing that I don't like about out school. we don't have any extra-curriculars.  If my kids show interest in a sport then I'll try and put them on a private team, but it's sooooo much more expensive that way. I think they're important, but I do think there also needs to be a balance.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 11:26 PM

We are in one of the top districts in our state, and the sports teams (at least at the high school level) seem to do very well, too. Extra cirriculars can help round out an education. I do think that kids involved in time-consuming extra activities, such as sports, should be expected to maintain certain grades.

Tara922c
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:06 AM

I find extracurricular activities to be an important part of education, and if balanced correctly, both can exist in school. Academics should always come first, and if my daughter's grades suffer because of extracurriculars, she will have to quit and focus on academics. At our schools, if a student receives below a D in any subject on a report card, he/she cannot participate in extracuriculars until progress reports come out and the student is passing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)