Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Out of curiousity....daughters

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:19 AM
  • 13 Replies
How many of you have GIRLS who have been diagnosed with ADHD? I have never seen a post about the female gender having this diagnosis......so, do any of you mama's with girls deal with the hyperness or inattentivness so many of our boys seem to deal with?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheBabyFactory4
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:23 AM
My girls don't seem to, at least not yet. But I was diagnosed with it in 2nd grade and still deal with adult adhd
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Dd is only 6, so I haven't had her tested yet, but I stongly suspect she is. Ds1 is ADD, and she is showing a lot of the same behaviors he did at her age.

Chymerra
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:15 AM

My DD has it.  We don't medicate. She's on a 504 at school (for the inattentivness/hyperness) and we deal with the hyperness at home by having her run around until she's tired.   

mumsy2three
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:30 AM

My dd was diagnosed with ADHD when she was in first grade. I really didn't agree with the diagnosis, I always suspected she had sensory processing disorder. We didn't put her on meds, we tried but couldn't find a good match that did cause side effects. When she was 14  she was seeing a psychologist for other issues, who changed her diagnosis from ADHD to ADD and generalized anxiety disorder. 

Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:34 AM
Well, it is not a child, but one of my closest friends is diagnosed with ADD and on meds for it. She is 40.
our3
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I do. My 10 yo DD has ADHD innatentive type. She use to be a class distraction, do poorly in math, and not have many friends. Since she has been diagnosed and on meds, she is solid A's, has a ton of friends, and is less stressed and depressed. I didnt want to medicate her at first but with all the school and social issues she was having we decided to try it out and with such good results we decided to keep her on them. Now thats its summer though we dont have her take her pill everyday, its more for when we need her to focus  like when we have something to get done.

melisa123
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:02 PM

my girls dont have it but my son has adhd and odd...but i have a cousin whos daughter is adhd

sunflowers12
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Nope, just my youngest son has inattentivness issues... I no of girls that have these problems that are getting help with their work when my son goes to mac lots if kids have these sort if problem now a days...
carakitty
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:05 PM

I got diagnosed with it in HS, but I think I was showing signs of it in 2nd or 3rd grade. I muddled through unmedicated for a long time, coping the best I could with very little support or understanding in the acedemic realm.

I see my daughter (who will be 8 next month) showing signs of it. I am going to re-read through a geat book someone suggested to me a long time ago. "You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid, Or Crazy?!" by Kate Kelly and Peggy Ramundo was quite the eye-opener and had lots of great information.

soymujer
by Mikki on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:03 AM

I don't think that ADHD is gender specific.  We thought maybe our daughter had it when she was younger but she doesn't.

family in the van   Mom of four

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN