Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I just made another post about birthdays - but my oldest and youngest sons have birthdays 5 days apart in July.  My middle son has his birthday Oct. 30th.  So, this time of year when all the talk is around the other two he always feels left out.  We don't feel that giving him a present would be right since it's not his birthday - but would love some ideas on how to make him not feel so left out.

Yes, we spend time with him one-on-one when we can, but it doesn't help.  Suggestions?

by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 2:12 PM
Replies (21-27):
soymujer
by Mikki on Jun. 21, 2012 at 4:54 PM

When my cousins and I were little, we got a small gift on the other birthday.  We understood that the birthday person got more presents but grandma didn't want the other two to feel left out.

family in the van   Mom of four

the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 5:43 PM
Wow. I mentioned in my original post that DH & I DIDN'T want to get him a gift...so I'm not sure why everyone is telling me not to when I already said we weren't.

Anyway, we're not having a kid party-we have a combined family party w/us & extended family. We do emphasize that he gets to enjoy his day all by himself without needing to share...but he still gets down.

Yes, it's a life lesson-has been for 8 years now-but I see nothing wrong with trying to keep him from feeling left out.

Thanks to those with actual suggestions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Nope.. They are great.. But if I get my lo an outfit for his birthday, my oldest gets one as well and vice versa.. It's still a special day.. We don't go all out but I do get them each something small..

Quoting Cindy18:

Why? It's the birthday boys special day. If you get everyone a gift, is it still special? How do they handle it when it's someone else's birthday, like a friend's or relative's? Do they expect a present then too?

Quoting steffielou_who:

Honestly, I always buy my boys gifts on each others birthdays..

MommyJDTJ
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 10:11 PM
I agree with this.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Involve him in the planning.  You can also remind him that when it's his birthday, he doesn't have to share it with anyone.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nickellmomof2
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I agree with this 100%

Quoting Cindy18:

This is one of those "Life not fair" lessons, IMO. He gets a birthday, just a few months away. I would never get him a present just so he doesn't feel left out. Maybe you could get him involved in the planning of the parties and thinking about he might want for his birthday, this way you can gentlely remind him that his birthday is still coming.

janitablue
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I agreed with the ladies in this post. It is important to let him know everyone has a special day  include him.   When his special day comes they will be a celebration for him and no one else................

randomosityblog
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 8:41 AM

He will get over it, we all have different birthdays.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN