Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nerf gun warning!

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:32 AM
  • 21 Replies
Tonight we had a major scare! My son got a new nerf gun for his bday and was playing with it when it jammed. It had one of those doors on the side that slides to clear a jam well he opened it and stuck his finger in to pull the bullet and the pressure chamber that shoots the bullet locked on half his finger. We tried soap, water, etc. It was so tight on his finger I thought it was going to amputate it. We got pliers and broke the gun enough to get his finger out. He had to ice it in ice water for 20 min before the pain stopped enough for us to evaluate it. Luckily it didn't break it or crush it. I was never more scared for my son than I was tonight!

So moms of kiddos with nerf guns: Please tell them NEVER to try to clear a jam on their own and NEVER stick your finger inside those chambers to clear a bullet. It is so dangerous!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vermontmoms
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Here is a picture of the gun. It was called the Nerf dart tag quick 16 blaster!

See the grey part in the middle that is the door you slide to clear a jam. Once he had that open he stuck his finger in and the interior pressure chamber clamped down on his finger.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
endurablemist
by Crystal on Jun. 24, 2012 at 5:31 AM

Wow, I'm glad he is ok!

Cindy18
by Cruella on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:21 AM

My son has many of them over the years. They have always jammed and broken. I won't let him get them anymore. They are horrible toys, IMO.

I'm glad your son is OK. How scary!

vermontmoms
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:21 AM
We have plenty but this on is the only one that jams alot. I think it is partly due to the velcro darts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IreneCarroll
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Wow

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Basic gun safety for a child is that if your gun misfires, you lay the gun down and yell for an adult.  Yes, I know that a Nerf gun is a toy gun, but in my house the same rules apply for a real gun and a toy gun since it keeps it simpler having one set of gun rules and there is never any confusion on what to do with a real gun and a play gun.

vermontmoms
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:43 AM
Good rule! That is what we told all the boys at the sleepover. If the gun stops working bring it to me and I will clear the jam. Trust me watching my son go through what he did was lesson enough! All the boys were scared. So were my spouse and I. After 10 min I really thought he might lose half his finger b/c it would not release.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Basic gun safety for a child is that if your gun misfires, you lay the gun down and yell for an adult.  Yes, I know that a Nerf gun is a toy gun, but in my house the same rules apply for a real gun and a toy gun since it keeps it simpler having one set of gun rules and there is never any confusion on what to do with a real gun and a play gun.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:10 AM

That is scary.

We are a "no gun" household - but still good to know to tell friend's, etc...

Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:12 AM

OP - are you going to report what happened to Nerf or the CPSC?  I bet your little one is not the only one who tries to clear it on his own...  :(

jen113000
by Jenna on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:13 AM
Glad he is ok! Very scary
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)