Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

going to be 6 only 2 months after starting kinder

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 1:07 PM
  • 55 Replies
Anybody else have an older kinder? My DS missed the cutoff for kinder by 25 days. Most of the kids in his prek class just turned 5 or hasn't turned 5 yet. To me it seems weird because he "competes" with his big sister who is.going into 2nd grade who is only 14 months older. My 3rd and 2nd grader are farther apart in age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lizzig
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 1:10 PM

nope, my little guy will turn five 11 days before school starts.  he'll be one of the youngest in his class.  he was the only one his his pre-k class that was 4 the entire year.  my daughter is the same way.  when she started kindergarten she was still 4.  the cut off here is 9/1 & her birthday is 8/22.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Jun. 25, 2012 at 1:10 PM

My eldest is going into 6th, but he was an older kindergartener. He turned 6 the July prior to kindergarten. He's on the autism spectrum and was not ready at all at age 5.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Our school cut off date is Aug 31 here, but they recommend if you have a summer birthday to wait a year to start so most of the kids are 6 in kindergarten.  Both of my boys have fall birthdays, so they turned 6 a few weeks into the school year.  *shrugs*  That is totally normal around here.

TJFBGMommy
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 1:12 PM

My 6 year old daughter turned 6, 2 months after kindergarten started. She missed the cutoff by almost 2 months though. My nephew who is now almost 11, made the cutoff by 5 days, but my sister held him back for a year. He's super bright, but he wasn't emotionally mature enough to start school at 5.

kaffedrikke
by Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 1:13 PM
My daughters friend was seven two mo after too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen113000
by Jenna on Jun. 25, 2012 at 1:13 PM
My son was 5 1/2 when he started K. Not sure what I'll do with my LO yet. He has a June birthday. So he will be a young 5 in 2 years when he can start.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aimhawk
by Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 1:15 PM

DD will be turning 5 the day before kindergarten starts.

Master_Debater
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 1:15 PM
My son turned 6 a week into K.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeggieLee22
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:08 PM

My DD is one of the younger ones in her class  (Aug10 bday)

My neighbors YDD's bday is in Dec so she's one of the older ones.  It always throws me off...that she is only a year and a half younger than my DD but my DD will be going into 3rd grade and she will be going into 1st.  But neither of them seem to have problems fitting in with the other kids.

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

My son has a fall b-day.  His is Oct 20 so he turned 6 about 6 weeks into Kindergarten.  It was no big deal.  There can be some real advantages to being among the oldest in your class.  Though I have to say, I was suprised by the number of Sept and Oct b-days that there are in his class.  So he definitely was not alone in being 6 for most of Kindy.

He's now entering 2nd grade this fall and then will turn 8 in Oct.  My younger son will start Kindy this fall but his b-day is in January so he's right in the middle for his class.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)