Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Summer Schedules

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 7:14 PM
  • 20 Replies

Do you keep your kids on a tight weekly schedule while on summer vacation?? I have a lot of friends that let their kids play outdoors and watch tv all summer long. My DD doesn't do well without structure, so I make a Summer Schedule every year that we work off during the week. Do you ladies also do schedules?

by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 7:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 7:25 PM
We don't do schedules, other than their regular activities. The kids do gymnastics and karate, both which are year-round. (Well, only a 3 week break on gym).

They are also required to read for 30 minutes minimum each day. They also do some writing and math just to take breaks from electronics.

Bedtime is 11pm as long as there isn't something early in the morning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WesternNYmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 8:11 PM

I try to keep a schedual all year round. During the summer, I let the kids stay up 30mins later than when they are in school, but I don't let them stay up all night.  I also have scheduals as we have alot going on this summer especially the kid's soccer scheduals. Alot of early Saturday mornings, Ugg.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 8:48 PM

No schedule here, except for a 10 p.m. bedtime- we prefer to wing it : )

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 9:10 PM

No, we are free and loose over the summer.  No routine or schedules what so ever.  

chinosruca
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 10:08 PM
She is in a summer program. It is semi-structured (start time, lunch time, end time) but it is geared at fun. At home she is pretty free to do whatever. Mostly she plays outside with her friends or surfs with her dad. Not too much of a tv watcher.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
janitablue
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 10:16 PM

My son's summer schedule is semi structured as well because he has to get up early for summer program and I have to be at work for a certain time. After the summer program he can do whatever he wants to do.

PinkParadox
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 10:18 PM
No. Kids deserve some fun. Learning to "roll with the flow" and be adaptable is just as important as learning structure. Kids need to blow off steam too. Summer is approx 2 out of 12 months & life is short. We do activities and read etc. But no schedule
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CowgirlMama0508
by Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 10:25 PM
This exactly :) I let my kids be kids.

Quoting PinkParadox:

No. Kids deserve some fun. Learning to "roll with the flow" and be adaptable is just as important as learning structure. Kids need to blow off steam too. Summer is approx 2 out of 12 months & life is short. We do activities and read etc. But no schedule
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lydlou02
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 10:30 PM
I hate schedules.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Our schedules are very different during the summer - but there is still expectations, activities, etc...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)