Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Would you ever want your kid...

Posted by   + Show Post
Would you ever want your kid to be an olympic athlete?

Would you be willing to do whatever it takes for your kid to reach his/her goal?

My son told us tonight that he wants to train for the olympics so he can go when he is either 13 or 17 (he just turned 9 last week). He wants to be an olympic swimmer. I think that is a great goal but worry how the intense training could affect him long term. He already swims yr-round on a gold rated USA swim team but he is now asking for a private coach too so he can train better. I am blown away at the ideas of a 9yr old wanting to acheive such a danting task.

What are your thoughts? Would you allow it? Would you be up to driving your kiddo all over the US and beyond to reach his/her goal? Would you ever send your child to a training facility without you?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:55 AM
Replies (51-54):
vermontmoms
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 8:55 PM
Honestly it really depends on the school. If the school has hockey or football they have to give so many scholarships for other sports, especially to women's sports to comply with title IX.

I worked for DI colleges as an athletic trainer. Several of my swimmers had full rides b/c they had partial academic and partial athletic. It is possible.

Quoting M4LG5:

The average scholarship is about 1/4 the cost of attendance for a university.  It is rare for a student to get a FULL scholarship by sports alone unless he is in sports that have to report any scholarship amount as 1 full scholarship (i.e. tennis, basketball, volleyball, football).  Most other sports can be divided up. 

For example softball can only carry a maximum of 12 full scholarship.  The coach can divide this up to 24 athletes....each gets half.  Basketball has 12 also....but if they give $1 scholarship, they have to count it as 1 full scholarship. 

Students actually get more money through academic scholarships than athletic. 

Quoting happy2bmom25:

do many colleges give out full rides to their swimmers? i would look into that if i were you.

Quoting vermontmoms:

Yes, but even if he doesn't make it at 17; he could get a full ride to college for swimming and try out again at 21. Or just be a steller college swimmer, which isn't a bad outcome either.

All in all, I just hope he loves what he does and has a great time doing it.

Quoting lizzig:

i'm on the fence.  while i support my children's interest as much as i can i don't know if i'd allow them to partake in such intense training.  forgoing pretty much their childhood just for a chance to try-out for the team.  even if one of my children had the possibility to make an olympic team i'm not sure i'd want them to give up their childhood, spending it all training.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 9:24 PM
I was a D1 coach, D1 athletic advisor, and worked within D1 eligibility and complaince office handling scholarships. Each sport is allotted a specific number of scholarships by the university and, at most, by the NCAA. If they are a 1=1 sport (meaning any amount of money to the athlete equals 1 scholarship....I.e.basketball) then.it is advantageous for the coach to give him/her a full ride. If the sport's scholarship can be spread out (meaning 1 scholarship can be spread to 4 people but amount equals to 1....I.e. softball) it is advantageous for the.coach to keep.as many of his/her players by giving even a partial. Now, what I originally was referring to.was only an athletic scholarship. Of course it is possible to be on full with assistance of academic and other grants and aid BUT my point is that it is RARE for a coach to give up 1 full scholarship go one athlete if they are not a 1=1 sport.

Academic scholarships to supplement the remaining amount is not as available as it used to be. How do I know? I'm still a college advisor and work with students regarding their financial aid.

Quoting vermontmoms:

Honestly it really depends on the school. If the school has hockey or football they have to give so many scholarships for other sports, especially to women's sports to comply with title IX.

I worked for DI colleges as an athletic trainer. Several of my swimmers had full rides b/c they had partial academic and partial athletic. It is possible.

Quoting M4LG5:

The average scholarship is about 1/4 the cost of attendance for a university.  It is rare for a student to get a FULL scholarship by sports alone unless he is in sports that have to report any scholarship amount as 1 full scholarship (i.e. tennis, basketball, volleyball, football).  Most other sports can be divided up. 

For example softball can only carry a maximum of 12 full scholarship.  The coach can divide this up to 24 athletes....each gets half.  Basketball has 12 also....but if they give $1 scholarship, they have to count it as 1 full scholarship. 

Quoting happy2bmom25:

do many colleges give out full rides to their swimmers? i would look into that if i were you.

Quoting vermontmoms:

Yes, but even if he doesn't make it at 17; he could get a full ride to college for swimming and try out again at 21. Or just be a steller college swimmer, which isn't a bad outcome either.

Quoting lizzig:

i'm on the fence.  while i support my children's interest as much as i can i don't know if i'd allow them to partake in such intense training.  forgoing pretty much their childhood just for a chance to try-out for the team.  even if one of my children had the possibility to make an olympic team i'm not sure i'd want them to give up their childhood, spending it all training.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vermontmoms
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 9:32 PM
I totally agree with you; I was just clarifying that for some sports that can't afford to offer full rides there are other options (ie. Academic partials).

Quoting M4LG5:

I was a D1 coach, D1 athletic advisor, and worked within D1 eligibility and complaince office handling scholarships. Each sport is allotted a specific number of scholarships by the university and, at most, by the NCAA. If they are a 1=1 sport (meaning any amount of money to the athlete equals 1 scholarship....I.e.basketball) then.it is advantageous for the coach to give him/her a full ride. If the sport's scholarship can be spread out (meaning 1 scholarship can be spread to 4 people but amount equals to 1....I.e. softball) it is advantageous for the.coach to keep.as many of his/her players by giving even a partial. Now, what I originally was referring to.was only an athletic scholarship. Of course it is possible to be on full with assistance of academic and other grants and aid BUT my point is that it is RARE for a coach to give up 1 full scholarship go one athlete if they are not a 1=1 sport.

Academic scholarships to supplement the remaining amount is not as available as it used to be. How do I know? I'm still a college advisor and work with students regarding their financial aid.

Quoting vermontmoms:

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting happy2bmom25:

Quoting vermontmoms:

Quoting lizzig:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DJAKoala
by Debbie on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:22 PM
I agree, doesn't hurt to try. Thrnthere will never be any what ifs

Quoting mommyjenn84:

If my child was that determined and I had the means, id go to.the end of the world to see it happen. You only live once
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN