Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Birds and Bees

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:09 PM
  • 14 Replies

I just got crazy news about a guy that I grew up with in my home town. While he was over seas with the Army his 11 year old daughter got pregnant by a 14 year old boy. It is sad and somewhat of a blessing but she did not have the baby. The girl is great child never got in trouble straight A . The babies father is the best friends brother. So I guess when she spent the night with her best friend she was doing things with the brother. My question is when do you start to talk to your children about SEX. Do you wait until your DD gets her cycle or do you start sooner.

by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:28 PM

We start talking about "sex" in the form of body changes and that a baby is made by a sperm and an egg (we haven't yet said how the sperm gets to the egg).  My oldest daughter and I have read American Girl's The Care and Keeping of You and we have talked about the changes her body will go through and when its time for a baby, this is what happens. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:32 PM
Pretty much this....

DD had seen pads/tamopns and knows our bodies bleed as part of how it gets reaady to make a baby but I haavent (and will not) go into the mechanics for another year or so. I will DEFINITELY be getting the American Girls book. We were looking at them yesterday.

Quoting M4LG5:

We start talking about "sex" in the form of body changes and that a baby is made by a sperm and an egg (we haven't yet said how the sperm gets to the egg).  My oldest daughter and I have read American Girl's The Care and Keeping of You and we have talked about the changes her body will go through and when its time for a baby, this is what happens. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:51 PM
2 moms liked this

I am one of those who believes that this subject isn't a one time conversantion.  You shouldn't give them all of the info at once as it will most liley overwhelm them and they won't retain everything if you give them it all at once.  We have had tons of conversations over the years and have added new information every so often and repeated old information too.  I don't think that there is a one size fits all conversation schedule either.  You need to answer questions honestly as they come up and tackle subject matter as it comes up as well.  For those with girls, you do need to cover menstruation prior to your dd staring.  I would hate to think how upset and afraid a girl would be not knowing why she is bleeding from her vagina.

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Definitely need to talk about menstruation BEFORE she gets her first period.  I had a friend in HS who told me that she knew nothing about menstruation when she got her period and she FREAKED OUT.  I mean, as a kid all you know is bleeding = bad and then couple that with bleeding from your private area... any girl would freak out not knowing what is happening to her.

As for talking about actual sex and how it happens, I knew about that stuff before I got my first period but then I was a late bloomer.  I was 14.5 by the time I got my first period.  I think all kids know about it by then.  I first learned that the penis is inserted into the vagina when I was in 5th grade.  That was by a friend of mine though so perhaps my mom should've talked to me a little sooner.

In general though, I agree with steelcrazy.  It should be a series of talks with different content at different ages.  I mean, you can start talking about sex with a 5 year old in the form of "boys have a penis and girls have a vagina".  Five year olds don't really need to know much more, but that is still considered sex education.  Then as they grow older you add a little more information each time.

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Reminds me of a funny story.  Recently with my 7 year old we were talking about boy genitals vs girl genitals.  I thought for sure we had had this discussion in the past but I guess it just proves the point of re-hashing old material.  Anyway, he was under the impression that everyone had a penis, even girls.  I said, "Well, you've seen me naked and seen that I don't have a penis."  He replied, "I thought your's was just hidden behind the hair... like Daddy's."

**My husband, as proclamed by himself, is a grower not a shower.**

SahmTam
by Tammy on Jun. 26, 2012 at 1:26 PM

We had smaller conversations as things came up (starting young with names of parts, moving to slightly more detail, etc), but the actual "birds and bees" conversation I had with my oldest when he was 9. Long story, lots of reasons why that was the right time for him. Not sure yet how old my other kids will be... we'll see when it seems like the time is right.

our3
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I have had small talks about puberty and body chages with DD but not the sex talk yet. I do plan to have the talk soon, I've just been trying to think of a way to do it with just me and her. DH refuses to speak of sex or the birds and the bees at all and pretends it doesnt exist in regards to the girls. So of course he is no help. DD is 10 yo now so I have some lee way but the talk will happen soon.

Fallonsmommy25
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 10:41 PM

i really dont know not yet of course. but my daughter has been going through a puberty thing since 1st grade the breast area my fault in my genes. but however, we have talked a little about the menstrual cycle not full  descussion shes getting hair here and there and she'll be 8 july 7th so  we've discussed that . but as far as the sex talk shes heard of the word but ive explained it means two different things im just not ready but i better get ready because 3rd grade is coming and well 2nd grade ive heard all sorts of things. so we will eventually except the hubs because he doesnt want me explaining or discussing any of this but im like shes going to eventually know i need her to know the right information.

TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Jul. 1, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Pretty much this minus the book part.

How old is your oldest? My oldest is 8 and we talked about a lot because of.my pregnancy.

Quoting M4LG5:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2012 at 11:06 PM
She is also 8....9 this month.

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

Pretty much this minus the book part.

How old is your oldest? My oldest is 8 and we talked about a lot because of.my pregnancy.

Quoting M4LG5:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)