Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How do you make potty training fun?

Posted by   + Show Post

Bedwetting doesn't have to stop your child from doing the things they love. We gave 40 CafeMom members one free package of Limited Edition GoodNites underwear featuring either Spider-Man or Tinker Bell and asked them to try it with their family. The new underwear is not only the most absorbent pant for boys and girls ages 4 and up but they're also specifically made to keep pajamas and bedding dry all night long!

Tell us about your kids. How do you make potty training fun?

CafeMom gives moms an opportunity to try our advertisers' products. In return, we ask our moms to share their true experiences and honest opinions. To learn how you can be an influencer, click here.

by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 10:51 AM
Replies (111-120):
buttersworth
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:12 AM

I don't know!

I potty trained my dd 10 yrs ago.

Now I have two younger sons. My 2 -1/2 yr old  should be potty aged but I can't remember how to get started.

Can someone help me out?

I have let him wear ull-ups and tried a potty cover seat to sit on. My DH said he could pee in it sitting down, to start. He didn't seem to like the free-standing potty, and it doesn't seem a good idea anyway because my 18 mo old might get into that one if its on the floor.

I heard + read that boys take a bit longer to potty train than girls. My dd was already using the potty regularly but with some mistakes, at this age. But my son isn't really using it. I don't want to pressure him but I started thinking the other day, "wow I've really gotta get on the schtick with this!"

Not really sure what to do. Any advice? Sorry I know this is not my post, but maybe just a quick mention my way?

turtle68
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Quoting buttersworth:

I don't know!

I potty trained my dd 10 yrs ago.

Now I have two younger sons. My 2 -1/2 yr old  should be potty aged but I can't remember how to get started.

Can someone help me out?

I have let him wear ull-ups and tried a potty cover seat to sit on. My DH said he could pee in it sitting down, to start. He didn't seem to like the free-standing potty, and it doesn't seem a good idea anyway because my 18 mo old might get into that one if its on the floor.

I heard + read that boys take a bit longer to potty train than girls. My dd was already using the potty regularly but with some mistakes, at this age. But my son isn't really using it. I don't want to pressure him but I started thinking the other day, "wow I've really gotta get on the schtick with this!"

Not really sure what to do. Any advice? Sorry I know this is not my post, but maybe just a quick mention my way?

Heres some tips for you *cough novel cough* :-)

Age is a huge factor...IMO and experience between 2 and 3 they should be fully toilet trained, if you are still training or think you will start at the 3+ age group you will have more issues.  The little darlings have a lot stronger personality then...stubborness can be a stumbling block.

What you need:  A toilet seat insert, One entire day of full attention (no visitors and no trips to the shops), a packet of underwear , a bucket and rag....summer is preferable (its just warmer you can spend time outside and dont have to clean as much also baby can run around with only underwear on, less washing for you).  And the biggest thing you need to hurdle...throwing away the diaper.  If you have disposables keep 14 give the rest away.  When you are committed to toilet training you need to be committed.  Kids know this and if you put diapers back on them because you dont want to ruin your carpet...then it sends mixed messages to your child.  NO GOING BACK. 

A final tip....wait until your child has gone number 2's to start toilet training, most kids will hold back number 2's on the first day on training because the toilet is new and scary, plus its easier to concentrate on one thing.  Dont panic if they want to go on the day of training and become panicky...just try to do help them as best as you can by encouraging them to go in the toilet (rubbing the lower back and giving them a big box to put their feet on so the knees are above the belly button helps a lot)

Night time the day before toilet training.....show them all the new underwear, toilet seat...chart of how many times they went, reward stickers if you want to use them etc.  Get them excited to start being a big kid.

Day 1  Turn off the phone, cell included...shut down the computer, lock the front door and prepare for a really tiring day :-)

Get up before the child, if they are stirring gently wake them and as exciting as you can tell them they are going to be a big boy/girl today...its a really exciting day, take them directly into the toilet and see if you can catch the morning pee.

Understanding why you pee is always a good tip.  You pee first thing in the morning, kids do too.  If they are warm during the night and in the morning... chances are they will pee first thing in the morning.  Kids will wet the bed if they are cold....so try to make sure they are well tucked in if its cold 

Dont worry if you missed it...but this is the training for night diaper removal.  If you get up before them in the morning and manage to catch that morning pee for more than three mornings in a row...remove night diaper before bed on the 4th night....remembering that you may still have to get up before them to help them for at least a week.

Day 1...TIMING

is the most important....DO NOT put diapers on during the day from this point forward.  The goal is to get them to pee in the toilet.  If you get that morning pee...you are on a winner.  Take them on the hour every hour.  Sit them on the toilet seat and try and coax a wee.  run the tap, dribble the toilet water by half pressing the button....fill a soda bottle half full and tip it back and forward in front of them, let them play with it.  What ever makes you want to pee...makes them want to pee;

Sit and entertain them for 5mins on the hour.  If they pee their pants, dont chastise just encourage them to remember where big kids pee.  Directly after the pee'd pants you can relax for at least an two hours because they arent going to pee for at least that.  Mark the time and two hours later start the clock again...5mins every 15mins...when it is getting to the 3 hour mark ...make your trips closer...every 10 minutes for 5 minutes...child must be wanting to go soon.  Until they are sitting in there for a while.  This is the crucial time...you know they must want to go, they know they want to go but are a little scared and now are a  wee bit peeved at you and being put on the toilet.  Dont stop....all your hardwork for the day will go down the toilet if you dont perservere LOL

Eventually you will get them to pee in the toilet...it will happen...when it does, make sure you make a big deal about it, do a dance sing a song...praise praise praise.

Continue the praise and talk to your child about how great and big they are for peeing in the toilet.

With that goal achieved the next phase is talking and timing.  Talking and the tone is very important here. 

Dont sound desperate...make it light and keep the praise up.  Again if they dont make it...no chastising.  Always restart the clock and watch the time every time they pee...be it in the toilet or on the floor.

Every 20 minutes take them to the toilet talking to them all the time about how great they were ...skip, sing,  make it a game..."come on baby lets do the big wee thing again...you have this toilet thing beaten"  They will try and please you and get the accolades again ...this is GREAT.

Now they know how to go...its time to change tactics.  Instead of taking them every 20 minutes ...you just ask every 20 minutes.  "darling do we need to beat up the toilet again?"  dont forget to tell me if you want to go baby...  If they say no repeatedly and you know its been a while ...just gently say to them...come on big boy lets just go for the sake of it.  Sometimes little ones dont want to stop doing what they are doing.  If they go great if they dont want to stay in there...dont press it.  Let them go and ask again later.

Final Phase....if they are responding to the question do you want to go, do you need to go...correctly (shaking head for no or nodding and going) then you stretch out the times between asking if they want to go...or saying things like "dont forget baby when your ready to go wee, yell out and I will come with you"  soon you will notice that they will go by themselves.

Repeat day 1 if you didnt catch a wee all day.  Repeat from Next phase until the end result happens.

last two BIG things....

Nap time....NO DIAPER.  Its important to get rid of diapers for the entire daytime.   If they nap for an hour, gently wake them up before they are fully awake...and take them to the toilet ASAP.  Like the morning kids pee when they wake up.  I found it easier to have them nap near me on the lounge (put a waterproof cover under the sheet)

Potty training is for the parents.  Kids will eventually learn to use a toilet...just like they learn to walk.  Its about when you want to stop using diapers and cleaning them up...and in extreme cases if you want them to go to school.  Your child can and is ready at 2.5yo to be trained.

NOW ....WHO WANTS TO BUY PART TWO TO POTTY TRAINING!!!  NUMBER TWOS LMAO!!

Elismom1909
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I have a 3.5 year old boy and i have been trying to potty train him for almost a year now. He use to find it really fun and he was excited to go potty and come out and tell the whole house full of what he had just done. He was fully trained during the day for both #1 and #2 for about two weeks but now it comes down to an argument just to get him to go pee in the potty let alone poopoo. But if he is outside playing in the pool or on his 4 wheeler he will stop what he is doing in a heart beat to go pee or poop and he willl not have a singal accident if he is outside. Is that normal at all and what should i do to get him to start potting in the potty again?

JanieJo
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 4:27 PM

I'm Janie mom to 2 kids a 3 year old dd and 5 year old son. Potty training has been a nightmare. My dd wants nothing to do with potty training and my son still has accidents ecvery day. I've ried everything. DS still uses training pants day and nite and i prefer the Pampers Easy-Ups because they contain poopy messes better. DD wears Pampers cruisers. Hoping for ideas from this post

dickhaus
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 5:00 PM

We have a daughter that will be 3 in Sept.  She does great staying dry when she's at "school" or away from home.  However, once she's home she will have accidents about every 30 min.  Pull ups don't work, she calls them diapers and wets in them.  Nighttime was going well but not anymore.  She also refuses to poop in the potty.  When she has to go she will either hold it til she has a pull up on or if she can't, she'll go in her pants and this doesn't even bother her.  We've tried bribes and all types of rewards but nothing makes a difference.  I can't afford to always be away from home with gas prices etc so what do we do?

PrincessKate86
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:59 AM

any tips? my daughter is 5 she was easy to potty train but by son is 3, will be 4 in Nov and he's peed a few times in the potty and pooped once, but wont realy doit anymore... we even rewarded him when he did do it, i dunno what to do...

luffyduffy
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 1:12 PM

well my oldest ds started when he was 1 1/2 now he gonna be 5.the first time we tried was a success and then he saw the poops in the potty,he was really crossed out and never wanted to use it ever since till he was 3,when i stop making wear diaper at daytime so he just give up and started going to the bathroom...till today just 2 tat he accidently wet his bed...my ds is 2 and we just started potty training for 3 weeks now and she enjoy's going to the bathroom,well i have to take all the toilet paper out from there so we won't we droping them in the toilet bowl..anyway she is doing great job 

jos.greendragon
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 2:01 PM
My 2year old ready he just hates sitting on the potty and getting into a routine is hard because of my schedual. How do I get him potty trained so he will quit taking off his pull up and making a mess everywhere!
krystlbear_84
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Potty training seemed to be a breeze for us, but I don't remember doing anything fun with it. When my son was old enough to sit, and I had to go potty I would bring him with me and he would sit on his little potty with his diaper on. Then once he got a little older, I started taking his diaper off while he sat there. When he was 2 years old, I started trying to potty train him. We skipped pull-ups and went straight to undies. He was interested in it for a little while, but then he quit. A few months later we tried again. But he lost interest. In July when he was 2 we had to start again, because he was starting head start in the fall (speech delay). It must have been the right time, because he wore his last diaper about 1 week before his 3rd birthday. He received lots of underwear with gifts that year. He loved it. He still had accidents once in a while but it wasn't too often.

tainaprophecy
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 4:54 PM

well i started potty training when my son wuz 1 1/2 yrs old...but his 2 yrs n 3 months old....he wuz doing good upto 2 wks ago...i felt he got lazy so we put him bak in diapers (pull-ups 2 expensive)...but dis wk we tried again...n i believe he got da idea...i just hope i dont have 2 go 2 diapers or pull-ups!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)