Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Is 6 a high peak year for drama and whining?

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 1:26 PM
  • 26 Replies

My daughter is 6 1/2 and she has always been such a good kid, ALWAYS!!! So I feel bad even talking about her but she is such a drama queen these days. She couldnt get her goggles on just right at the pool yesturday and she acted like a total brat and there was so much drama. I try not to let it bother me but I want to snap her head off!!!! I tell her to quit dramatizing or go sit be herself. And then there are other times I get very mad and yell. And the whining, what is the best way to get her to stop?

by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
asaffell
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

6 is a tough year. They're in between phases and it feels like growing pains almost to me. I have to really bite my tongue and remember that she's struggling with finding her place at this age. The drama, the whining, the exerting of independence are difficult to deal with.

Hugs, it will pass. Hopefully soon for both of us!

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 1:29 PM
2 moms liked this

oh yeah!  Whinefest 2012!  I just tell my girls, "i can't understand you when you whine.  Talk to me and then I will listen."

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I am not bothered by whining, it doesn't phase me in the least and not surprisingly my boys don't do it since it doesn't get a response out of me.  I don't recall 6 being any more drama filled than any other age with either of my boys.  My oldest is much more dramatic and emotional than my youngest and his biggest drama age thus far has been 11.

luvcats406
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

No, my almost 9 year old still whines and has temper tantrums!  I do ignore them.

our3
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Not that I know of. My oldest DD has never been whinny and dramatic. But then again I've never allowed it.

saysmom
by Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Our3- Since you don't allow it, please tell us what you do to not allow it. That was the question. I am looking for answers as I have never had to deal with it before.

ryansmommy0688
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:58 PM
I'm going through the same thing with my 5 year old he'll be 6 in December!
Cindy18
by Cruella on Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I think 6 is a tough year for most kids. They are stuck in the middle of being a little kid and a big kid.

kcook55
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 12:05 AM

my son is the same way he will be 7 next month i wont talk to him when hes whinnying about something and i tell him im not talking about it cuz i know he will keep on and on and on so if i say im not talking about it he stops

CarlysMommy1
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 12:17 AM

From 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 was horrible for DD. She whined, was sassy, threw tons of tantrums and acted like a spoiled brat. You would have thought she was used to getting everyhing she wanted even though that was far from the truth. She'll be 6 next month and her attitude and behavior are so much better now. After reading some of these posts I'm really hoping she doesn't backslide at 6. I'm terrified of the teenage years too. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN