Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a difficult child...no excuses.

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:26 PM
  • 21 Replies
My little one is difficult, but I don't make excuses for him and I wish other people wouldn't either.

He's 6 years old (will be 7 in August). He has a very strong personality and a very fast temper. He's extremely smart, but lacking emotional maturity.

He got in trouble at school today. I haven't gotten the whole story yet, but he definitely had a major tantrum. When I told my friend/co-worker she asked what was wrong with these teachers that they can't handle him. I was really quick to tell her the teachers aren't the problem, he is. He needs to learn his place in the food chain and quit acting like an apex predator when he's just lower level prey. I don't want these teachers catering to him. He needs to learn how to function in a world that won't bend to his will.

His outbursts and unruly behaviour are better now than they were a few years ago, so he's getting it...slowly but surely. I'm confident he'll continue to get if I make sure he's held responsible for his behaviour. No excuses.

Do you have a difficult child?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I ahve a sensitive child, and we have are moments as well and he is emotionally immature as well. I am glad though that he is still at home with me and that I am the disciplinarian. I do not give into these outburst (not matter if it is because he's tired or hungry etc). We also talk a lot about self control and dealing with frustration the correct way. Its a learning process, and I don't give excuses, but I also realize that it is a learning process and give him grace in the midst of this.

kLynch315
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:35 PM
Yes. Its getting better as she gets older. She has adhd and has very impulsive behavior. She's also extremely sensitive. We are working on it and as mentioned slowly she gets better.
Hang in there!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StephanieSH
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I have two difficult children but they come from a long line of difficult people on both sides of the family so there was no hope for them to be easy. :)  My mom said to me "you and your husband are extremely difficult. Why did you ever think you would have an easy kid?"  It has gotten better as they get older.

othermom
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:45 PM

My youngest is my most difficult in most ways, she has a major attitude and is very opinionated, but we are working with her to control it better now at age 2. My oldest is socially imature in some ways and we are working on it too.

Cindy18
by Cruella on Jun. 30, 2012 at 8:18 AM
5 moms liked this

You have a great outlook!!

So many parents want to blame society for the child's behaviors.... and, IMHO, it has made a whole generation of people who don't take responsibility for their actions and want the world to cater to them.

Your son has a great headstart on the life because you are his mom and you are raising him to be a responsible, productive, member of the society!

STKsMomma
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 8:21 AM
I couldn't have said it better!

Quoting Cindy18:

So many parents want to blame society for the child's behaviors.... and, IMHO, it has made a whole generation of people who don't take responsibility for their actions and want the world to cater to them.

Your son has a great headstart on the life because you are his mom and you are raising him to be a responsible, productive, member of the society!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 10:28 AM

clapping

Quoting Cindy18:

woodit2u
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I feel for you. I also have a difficult child who lacks emotional maturity and he's only 4. He's extremely intelligent, but gets bored easy. If his class is doing something he finds boring he gets angry and begins acting out.

I'm still blaming myself. I don't know where I went wrong that he get the impression it's ok to act the way he does.

mumsy2three
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 10:51 AM

My oldest and only dd is a very spirited child. She was diagnosed with ADHD when she was 7, I always suspected that she had sensory processing disorder. ADHD was changed to ADD and generalized anxiety disorder when she was 14. We didn't enable our dd or let her diagnosis define her or use it as an excuse for her actions or behaviors. She just graduated from HS in June we were very proud of her accomplishments we know what a difficult road it has been at times for her.

My boys are pretty easy although there are times when I think my youngest is the male version of our dd with some of the things he does.

melissa632
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 10:55 AM
My youngest is my difficult child. But,never at school. They're always singing him praises. I'm like...who's kid are you talking about because it's surely not mine...lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)