Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Update American girl and our generation doll question...

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 9:00 PM
  • 30 Replies

Update     Today was dd's birthday.  When she opened the doll she said "American girl".  I told her immediately that it wasn't.  She seem to be fine with it.  She was able to get a few accessories and I told her that we can go back to buy more things because we can afford it.  Already tonight I saw her holding the doll upside down with her hair dragging on the floor.  Also she sat the doll on the floor by the stairs.  Yep she's going to have to prove to me that she can take care of this doll.  Thanks to all of you for your advice.  Chat later.

DD is turning 7 in 5 days.  American girl doll is only one item on her long list.  I purchased a generation doll from Target as a back up.  But I am considering buying her an American girl doll.  My questions are...

Is the American girl doll worth the money? 

Besides the cost what are any other "big" difference between the two dolls?

Thanks for any and all of your help.

by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
janitablue
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I don't  have a daughter but it is all up to you . Can you afford the American Girl Doll? Is it worth buying?  Can y your daughter cherishing the doll as keep sake.......... If she doesn't are you ok with that as well?

debramommyof4
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 10:07 PM

The American girl dolls are period dolls, Molly is from the 40's for example and they have clothes from that period.  The my generation dolls are from our childrens generation. 

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 10:14 PM
My girls are not into dolls so buying one for us would not be a good idea. How much would she actually use it or take care of it. If my girls ask for something expensive,.these are things that I ask myself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matofour
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 10:20 PM
2 moms liked this
My girls love their American girl dolls, worth every penny.
They cheap ones have nasty hair and don't move as well.
We have, seven dolls between my three girls. They play with them all the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 10:21 PM
2 moms liked this
AG dolls are far better quality. Their hair is much easier to care for and stay
looking nice longer. Although the dolls are very close to the same size, you can not buy the Target clothes to fit the AG dolls. Everything else works very well though.
You can buy the period dolls, just like me dolls and doll of the year. Most have books and other accessories.
I have never regretted spending the money for the two dolls my daughter owns.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gracieb3
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 11:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I think they are worth most of the money but find the clothes marked up too much. I was suckered into them for my DD and I will say that they have held up so I bought my middle one the bitty twins and stroller. I suggest buying accessories on sale or second hand. I also learned that the stroller is replaced free if broken as part of a life time warranty. You might want to check that to be sure but basically if you can buy a second hand one inexpensive you might be able to swap it free. The other added bonus is the doll hospital that anytime you need it and based on fee for services you can get the doll restored back to original condition. As for quality it is that but I'm disappointed the American doll is not made here in America. If you can afford it without it being a burden, then do but if not it's just a doll. I have no idea about the generation doll or what it cost so I can't answer to that but only say that our bitty twins and  AG dolls are well made. 

Fields456
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2012 at 12:03 AM
Yes yes yes it is so worth it. I had one growing up ( unfortunately we have no idea where it is). But I am getting my dd one for Christmas. She is 6 You can get a period one or o e that looks just like your dd. and all the clothes they have for the dolls you can get for your dd to match. And the period ones all have a seris of books. Plus they have a store that you can take her too( if she gets really into it) my cousin took her dd and she was in doll heaven All of my accessories that my mom kept are in perfect condition so I will get to share that part with my dd
Cara5
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 12:50 AM

This is a good comparrison (about halfway down the page) of the target doll and the real american girl doll.

http://reviews.ebay.com/American-Girl-vs-quot-Generics-quot-a-Mom-apos-s-Saving-Guide?ugid=10000000012463697

We have some of both. DD and DS 16 each got a real american girl dolls when they were 7 when the twin sets first came out. DS passed his down to little sisters, but dd still has hers on a shelf and its in excellent condition.  Sometimes she lets her little sisters play with it (if their hands are clean LOL). She also got a big doll a couple years later, that ones in great shape too. 

My next two kids got a set of Bitty twins at age 5 and 6 for christmas one year, and their younger sister got a set of twins all to herself for christmas when shen was 7...so thats 6 bitty twins, and over the next couple years my middle DD asked for a big doll for xmas, so we have two of those now too. 

DD 4 has begged for her own american girl doll since she could form the words, but she also takes her dolls into the bath, and pool and into the dirt in the back yard and feeds them real food and generally beats the shit out of them.  Shes on her second target doll. If its still alive on her 5th birthday (next march) we might start thinking about shelling out for an AG, since they come with reparis lol. 

mrjonesii
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Ladies as always I knew I could depend on you! Thanks for all of your help.  I will try to make my decision today.  I only have 4 more days left.  (bless my heart).  As of right now I'm leaning on keeping the generation doll and have her try it out.  If she takes good care of it maybe we can graduate to American girl next year.  I will let you know what my final decision is.  Again thanks.

mrjonesii
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 7:41 AM

Thx!  The link to the website was a big help!

Quoting Cara5:

This is a good comparrison (about halfway down the page) of the target doll and the real american girl doll.

http://reviews.ebay.com/American-Girl-vs-quot-Generics-quot-a-Mom-apos-s-Saving-Guide?ugid=10000000012463697

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN