Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Free/Reduced breakfast/lunch

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 2:09 PM
  • 52 Replies

We just got the applications for the free/reduced food at the school. I have 2 kids starting kindergarten this fall and in their packets these were included. I am surprised at the income guidelines! I just assumed we wouldn't qualify because we don't qualify for any sort of PA. But we definitely do by their guidelines. My mom says I should do it for sure so I can save money by having them get their lunches at school (I will always provide breakfast) idk if I should just because we "qualify". The guideline is about $7,000 more than what we make per year right now. I coupon to save us the most on our food. WWYD?

by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 2:10 PM

DD has been on it since Prek(going to 3rd) but honestly the food sucks here and dd rather bring a lunch most days. We will look at the menue each week and she decides if she will pack or eat there.

CrazedMomof2
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 2:13 PM

If you qualify then go for it.

My kids eat school lunch once a week. I think its gross so that is our compromise. LOL. Elise would rather starve than eat it every day but Ethan would eat it every day if I let him.

PinkParadox
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 2:16 PM
Do it! Kids are expensive
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Why wouldn't you take advantage of it if you qualify?  No one says that they have to eat every lunch at school, but I would be filling out the form to save money on the days that they do choose to eat a school lunch.

WildCat73
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Here is also saves on the cost of the school books. In our old town it gave free textbooks.Here it gives a reduction in the amount for textbooks. If you qualify I would do it. My kids get it. It has been so helpful. Our school even has a lunch program for free through the week in the summer for all kids.

Kaybean
by Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 2:17 PM
Do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MDWife12
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I would fill out the forms and get free/reduced lunch - I worked in the lunch room and you would be AMAZED at how fast an account can go negative - there was one account that was over 700 negative. If you have multiple children you are going to go through that money like there is no tomorrow and a reduced lunch or even a free lunch will help out in SO many ways. Definitely take advantage of it, it is there to help at the very least relieve the cost of the food from the parents.

marymo2011
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 2:23 PM
I don't see a problem. Definitely do it if you qualify. Why not! More money to spend on the kiddos later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamacalifornia
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I would do it! We don't qualify for free or reduced but if we did I would do that, it saves you so much money!

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 2:27 PM
2 moms liked this
Do it. Here the schools push u to apply. They get more grants/such for having low income familues over a certian percent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)