Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What not to buy for back to school?

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 9:01 AM
Max
  • 62 Replies

Since we seem to be starting to talk about back to school shopping lets share some things we've bought in the past that didn't work out. Maybe we can help each other avoid some pitfalls. 

by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen113000
by Jenna on Jul. 3, 2012 at 9:06 AM
5 moms liked this
The cheaper bookbags from places like target/walmart. My son was only in K last year and his bookbag got holes in the bottom pretty quickly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 3, 2012 at 9:08 AM

I got the lunch box in the picture below the cake for my son last year. Sorry this is the only pic I could find. 

I couldn't find it on target's website so maybe they aren't selling them any  more. They had a huge variety and I thought they were really cute. But it got dirty. I did machine wash it, but it started to fray after a couple of washing. It also didn't do much to protect his lunch because it was so soft. We only used for a few months before getting a new one. That is still practically brand new looking. He will use it for a few years.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 3, 2012 at 9:10 AM

The other thing I can think of is 3 ring binders. Last year I ordered some for all the kids in my class because I thought I was getting a great deal. They fell apart. I've also gotten the cheap ones at Walmart. Those barley last a year. The covers come right off. 

I can't stand how expesive they are. But if you pay for a nice one, your child can use it for years. 

MB13
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 9:42 AM
2 moms liked this

As a retired math teacher, I can tell you that if you have ruler and protractor on your list, get the cheap little clear plastic protractor, and a clear plastic (flexible) ruler.  If you get the solid color ones that they can't see through, it is difficult to line it up right on the vertex to measure the angle.  The flexible rulers are almost impossible to break and also, they can see through them when they lay down their ruler on top of what they are measuring.

MB13
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 9:43 AM

The backpacks with the handle and wheels often don't fit in the older kids lockers.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 3, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Quoting MB13:

As a retired math teacher, I can tell you that if you have ruler and protractor on your list, get the cheap little clear plastic protractor, and a clear plastic (flexible) ruler.  If you get the solid color ones that they can't see through, it is difficult to line it up right on the vertex to measure the angle.  The flexible rulers are almost impossible to break and also, they can see through them when they lay down their ruler on top of what they are measuring.

That's why I always buy the rulers for my class. They are super cheap and it makes such a difference when they have the see through ones. 

natesmom1228
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Quoting MB13:

The backpacks with the handle and wheels often don't fit in the older kids lockers.

We are not allowed to have the ones with the wheels for that reason.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Buy a full sized backpack, even for kindergarteners.  The junior ones are typically too small to fit a standard sized folder in them.

my4littlegirls
by and 1 boy on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Any lock that is not a masterlock. They suck, hard to open.

SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:29 AM
7 moms liked this
Buy crayola Rose Art suck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN