Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Winter birthday ideas for school age children!

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 2:37 AM
  • 37 Replies
I need some ideas for my Step daughter's birthday who will be turning 7 this November. We can never do outside activities because it's too cold. We've done the local children's museum (Magic House), she's too old for Chuck E Cheese. I don't know if she's too young to have a sleepover party?? Maybe themed? I need some outside the box ideas! I would also like to maybe have the kids bring donations for the homeless or an animal shelter instead of presents.
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 2:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Does she have a small group of friends?  DD was invited to 2 sleepovers in her class and this is 5-6 yr olds.  She wasnt able to go to either sadly due to sickness.   Are there any roller skating or ice skating rinks there?  How can you be too old for chuck e cheese?   I love their games but dont eat their food.

babyjen314
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 3:02 AM
We've done ice skating before. Last year we tried to do kids from her class but you're required to invite the whole class, and I can't afford that. They don't have any kind of directory to contact the parents directly. We've done Chuck E Cheese a few times already that's why I wouldn't want to again. I may end up doing a sleepover but I don't know how to to get the invites out to a select few kids. She only has about 2 or 3 kids in the neighborhood we could invite. Norollerskating rinks nearby. Thanks for the ideas though!
babynurse244
by Beth on Jul. 4, 2012 at 4:14 AM
Some movie theaters do parties now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
weirdkids
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 4:21 AM
I go through that with my kids. They are very selective about their friends so what I do is make mini invitations. I give them a small stack and have them hand them out to just who they want there at lunch. As for an idea, you could do a "winter carnival "

Quoting babyjen314:

We've done ice skating before. Last year we tried to do kids from her class but you're required to invite the whole class, and I can't afford that. They don't have any kind of directory to contact the parents directly. We've done Chuck E Cheese a few times already that's why I wouldn't want to again. I may end up doing a sleepover but I don't know how to to get the invites out to a select few kids. She only has about 2 or 3 kids in the neighborhood we could invite. Norollerskating rinks nearby. Thanks for the ideas though!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babyjen314
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 5:07 AM
Maybe if a good movie is coming out around her birthday that'd be good

Quoting babynurse244:

Some movie theaters do parties now.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babyjen314
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 5:10 AM
Handing them out at lunch is a good idea. I wouldn't know where to begin with a Winter Carnival though! I'd rather do some sort of themed party like a pajama party or pet party. Something along those lines.

Quoting weirdkids:

I go through that with my kids. They are very selective about their friends so what I do is make mini invitations. I give them a small stack and have them hand them out to just who they want there at lunch. As for an idea, you could do a "winter carnival "

Quoting babyjen314:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chinosruca
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 5:55 AM
What does she want?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auroragold
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 6:31 AM
1 mom liked this

My dd is 10 - born in December.We live in Massachusetts. You got the picture of the weather right?

We've always done an "at home" party with a theme and they are always a hit.  Pick a theme and run with it - they'll have a blast!

auroragold
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 6:33 AM

Oh - and the themes have always been based on her interests at the time. We have done

Warrior Cats

Ancient Egypt

Woodland Fairy

Winter Wonderland

Miss Spider Tea Party

Rainforest Romp

(trying to think of the rest........)

hollinicole
by Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 6:39 AM
How about a party at home. Make over/dress up, karaoke, cooking, what does she like?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)