Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner routine...together or on your own?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 4:45 PM
  • 22 Replies



Question: Do you sit together as a family for dinner or do your own things?


Sit together at the table

Sit and eat where we want and do what we want

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 34

View Results

Do you guys sit together as a family for dinner?? Or do you let the kids go in their room, watch what they want, etc? Growing up we never sat at the table unless a special occasion but we usually always sat in the living room together on the couches. At my home now my SO usually works late so during the school year my SD and I sit where we want. If he is home its usually the same thing. We dont like to watch the same things during dinner and thats usually the only about the only time SD sits and watches a movie is while she eats. If its a big dinner we sometimes sit at the table, and we almost sit at the table for breakfast. Dinner is my relaxing time and I love to watch my shows, same for everyone else, so we dont sit together. Whats your routine at your house??

by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 4:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Emerald Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Food or drink is never permitted in the bedrooms under any circumstances.  EVER!

We eat dinner 99.9% of the time at the diningroom table together (we don't have a kitchen table).  There is no tv on during dinner and the phone is ignored during dinner.  Electronics of any kind are prohibited at the dinner table.  I grew up this way, but hubby didn't.  So every once in a great while, especially during football season, I will permit dinner to be consumed on the familyroom couch in front of the tv.

by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Yeah no food in bedrooms ever and the only drink is water. All of our tv's are in the same room so it wouldn't work watch seperate shows. Our table isn't big enough for all 7 of us. So the kids sit at the table, I stand in the kitchen and serve everyone (I eat later). My husband eats in the game room at his computers. No electronics at the table. Unless it's a raid night, then the boys join my husband in the game room. But I won't serve them, if they want to eat they have to come to the kitchen and get it themselves.

by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 6:46 PM

 As a kid we always ate together and I have implemented that into our family, we always eat dinner together at the table 98% of the time, the other 2% are "fun" nights where we eat dinner & watch a movie together in the family room.

NO eating in the bedrooms ever, NO electronics at the table & kids no phone usage, hubby & I answer our phones if it is our parents in case it is an emergancy, if it is not then we will tell them we will call them back.

by Kandice on Jul. 8, 2012 at 6:50 PM

We eat any meal we have at home together at the dining room table. Including snacks. Only exception is popcorn during movie nights.

by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 7:06 PM
I voted sit at the table because 90% of the time dinner is eaten together at the table. Breakfast and lunch are not as we all eat at different times and sometimes we allow the kids to eat dinner in their playroom.
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 7:15 PM

When DH is home we usually eat at the table. That's 3x a week since he works 4/10 night shifts. Some days before he works I do a big lunch and we eat together.

However, during the week, when its the kids and I we may eat at the table or just get whatever, wherever.

One night is usually "free for all" aka leftovers or what you can find cuz Mo ain't cooking. I deserve one night off. The other two nights I cook and we eat watching tv.

NO food, drinks down the hall. The only exception is water for DS1 when he is doing schoolwork in his room.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 3:20 AM
We eat dinner at the dining room table 90% of the time. Sometimes I eat in my room, but it's rare.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:39 AM

Most of the time together. Sometimes in front of the T.V if we were in the middle of a movie or show.

by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:01 AM

We eat dinner together at the kitchen table most nights. The only time we don't is if one of the kids is at a friend's house or if my husband is working late.

by Max on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:06 AM

We eat together most of the time. Every once in a while spread out and eat in different rooms. But that's pretty rare. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)