Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Dinner routine...together or on your own?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you sit together as a family for dinner or do your own things?

Options:

Sit together at the table

Sit and eat where we want and do what we want

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 34

View Results

Do you guys sit together as a family for dinner?? Or do you let the kids go in their room, watch what they want, etc? Growing up we never sat at the table unless a special occasion but we usually always sat in the living room together on the couches. At my home now my SO usually works late so during the school year my SD and I sit where we want. If he is home its usually the same thing. We dont like to watch the same things during dinner and thats usually the only about the only time SD sits and watches a movie is while she eats. If its a big dinner we sometimes sit at the table, and we almost sit at the table for breakfast. Dinner is my relaxing time and I love to watch my shows, same for everyone else, so we dont sit together. Whats your routine at your house??

by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 4:45 PM
Replies (11-20):
TroyboysMom
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:07 AM

The only thing that is allowed in the bedrooms in my home is water (in a plastic bottle, not open cups)-no food, no other drinks. We will -very-  ocassionaly have popcorn or another treat in the living room to watch a movie. 

We eat breakfast and dinner at the table daily. DH works an odd schedule (2-11), so breakfast times are when we can have a family meal on days he works. We eat at the table for dinner to talk about our day. The television isn't on during the week here at all, so there's no distraction during mealtimes. 

lizzig
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:13 AM

we always eat together (least the kids & i -hubby usually works till 7:30ish every night).  we do eat in the living room on occasion but we're still together & conversing, not glued to a tv program.  we didn't have a kitchen table for a long while so we ate at the coffee table, japanese style as my daughter said.  once we got a kitchen table we were so used to eating in the living room that we still like to do it.

natesmom1228
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Our kitchen table or kitchen for that matter, is not big enough for us to sit at. Hubby and I usually sit in the living room and the kiddo is in his room. We talk all the time so it's not a big deal to not be at the same place at the same time for dinner.

Tara922c
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

When dh is home, we eat together. He is at work most of the time and ofter works odd hours. DD and I eat together for the most part. Sometimes I had a big or late lunch, so I fix dd something and sit with her while she eats. If I decide to eat later, or she ate earlier in the evening, I will let her watch TV while I eat. I don't expect dh to sit with me while I eat either. Our house is open concept so I can see the tv and talk to people in the family room while eating at the kitchen table.

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Jul. 9, 2012 at 3:54 PM
Now that we have the baby so wants us to start sitting at the table when he gets older...
ShaeD
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:45 PM

It depends on the night. We try to eat as a family but with DH on nights we end up eating dinner at 4/4:30 and some days that just to early or we have after school activities

AubreeLynn7
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Whoever is home will eat dinner at the table together

zboys
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Both since I have three "bachelors" under my roof.  I try to balance it out 'cause they don't always want to eat with me.

lalasmama2007
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM
We always eat together unless my SO is working late.
soymujer
by Mikki on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:02 AM

It's the only time the whole family is together and can talk.

family in the van   Mom of four

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)