Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Vacation Bible School?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 6:05 PM
  • 42 Replies

Do you send your child(ren)?

What's your program like?

Our church has an evening program from 6-8:30 and it has an Aviation theme this year.  DS is going to love it since he's really into planes.

Wondering how they will use that theme to teach the Bible stuff, though.  LoL

airplane

by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 6:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Well yeah. I am sure the bible will factor in somehow. DD does not go since we do not go to a church.  I grew up going to VBS and volunteered in my teen years for VBS.

TJFBGMommy
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 6:21 PM

My kids go, well 2 of them go, 1 volunteers, the baby is too young still. It's from 9-3, which irritates me. It's summer, I'm not supposed to have to get up that early. Not sure what the theme is this year, they're always really fun though. My kids love it.

mom2maryjoseph
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I wish our church had VBS.  Our kids are the church kids so no go on VBS.  I hope they can go the PCA church 30 minutes away next year for VBS.  We didn't find out the dates until it was too late to register.   I love VBS and I love that so many churches are doing them at night lately.  That makes it possible for more people to help out and for more kids to attend in my opinion.

Amgrl210
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 6:25 PM
No vbs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Yes... ours starts in the morning. As a matter of fact, I've been home from Church for about an hour now...I've been there since 9:30 this morning..I spent all afternoon after Church decorating the for VBS. 

Our theme this year is Paradise Island. Our first lesson tomorrow is about Meshach, Shadrach and Abednego- I am going to ask them if they have ever been scared, what they did, etc...it will go along with the Bible lesson for the day..

We have crafts, snack, Bible lesson, games, opening and closing where they will learn songs and dances. 

My oldest will be in the 1st grade class, my youngest will be in the "nursery" since she is 4 and not old enough yet and I willl be teaching 3rd graders again. I have 12 boys in my class this year. It is from 9-12 M-F this week.

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

huskermom98
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Our church just had our a couple of weeks ago--the theme was "Sonshine" and it was a very woodsy/outdoorsy feel to it.  Ours was M-F, 6:30-8:30pm with a dinner beforehand.  That's a little late for us because bedtime is usually 8 and we live half an hour from church!  But it was fun and the boys enjoyed it all! 

We have assembly time with singing and a video/lesson then the kids split according to age and go to 4 different stations before meeting again for more singing and a missions moment.  The 4 stations are story/lesson, crafts, games, and snacks.  The only one I don't care for is the snack time because not only is it sometimes 20 minutes after dinner, but also becasue the actual snacks are weird and most of the kids only pick at them if they eat anything at all.  The snacks themselves are a cute idea because they go along with the theme, but are just weird for small kids (and expensive and wasteful for the people who donate the supplies...most of us would just be happy with Goldfish or cookies!)

Ametrine
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 7:14 PM

When I was a kid in the 70's, our local Baptist church had a VBS I got up in the morning for.  Back then, I walked there with no problem...Mom slept in.  :)

I loved the crafts; hated the memorization of verses, though.

Quoting TJFBGMommy:

My kids go, well 2 of them go, 1 volunteers, the baby is too young still. It's from 9-3, which irritates me. It's summer, I'm not supposed to have to get up that early. Not sure what the theme is this year, they're always really fun though. My kids love it.

Ametrine
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Hubby is volunteering...I get to stay home and have a couple of hours hubby and DS-free. 

Since DH lost his job last month, I welcome a break from "the men".

Maybe I'll use that time to soak in a hot bubble bath and read without interruption!  :)

Quoting mom2maryjoseph:

I wish our church had VBS.  Our kids are the church kids so no go on VBS.  I hope they can go the PCA church 30 minutes away next year for VBS.  We didn't find out the dates until it was too late to register.   I love VBS and I love that so many churches are doing them at night lately.  That makes it possible for more people to help out and for more kids to attend in my opinion.

Ametrine
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Quoting huskermom98:

Our church just had our a couple of weeks ago--the theme was "Sonshine" and it was a very woodsy/outdoorsy feel to it.  Ours was M-F, 6:30-8:30pm with a dinner beforehand.  That's a little late for us because bedtime is usually 8 and we live half an hour from church!  But it was fun and the boys enjoyed it all! 

We have assembly time with singing and a video/lesson then the kids split according to age and go to 4 different stations before meeting again for more singing and a missions moment.  The 4 stations are story/lesson, crafts, games, and snacks.  The only one I don't care for is the snack time because not only is it sometimes 20 minutes after dinner, but also becasue the actual snacks are weird and most of the kids only pick at them if they eat anything at all.  The snacks themselves are a cute idea because they go along with the theme, but are just weird for small kids (and expensive and wasteful for the people who donate the supplies...most of us would just be happy with Goldfish or cookies!)

LoL...

I signed up to bring 3 big Costco boxes of Goldfish for snack.  There was a lot of other "odd" things on the list...like cream cheese, if you can believe it.  I wonder what that's for?

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM
Our church has so few kids that it hasn't had VBS the past two years. I'm usually on the team that does it but things have been chaotic.

I actually miss it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN