Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do your kids share toys or does each have his or her own?

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:38 PM
Max
  • 42 Replies

My oldest is almost 5 and youngest is 18 months. They are both boys. 

Until recently we had baby toys and big boy toys. And the Nate had no interest in playing with baby toys anyway. 

I've been going through sorting and organizing everything and Nate really wants to put Zack's toys in Zack's room and keep his is his own. So I've realized that I need to think about what I will let each boy claim as his own. 

I always just figured the toys were the toys. But I remember growing up not wanting my brother to play with my stuff. Since he really wasn't interested in Barbies it wasn't too hard to sort out which were mine and which were his. But with two boys I'm expecting there to be more interest in each other's stuff. 

So how to encourage them to share, but also let them have their own things to take care of?

by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
janitablue
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:57 PM

My son is the only child but he does not mind sharing or giving away his toys. I am sorry I could not help you out I hope someone does.........

jen113000
by Jenna on Jul. 10, 2012 at 9:14 PM
I have two boys as well. 6 and 3. They share a room and are pretty good with sharing toys with one another. If something is new to them they can not share it for a bit. They both understand that and they don't fight normally. The only things I let my oldest keep elsewhere is the small lego's. My 3 year old is not ready to play correctly with lego's. We have battles sometimes and if they can't work it out. I will physically make sure they take turns with that toy. But usually they are pretty good with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen113000
by Jenna on Jul. 10, 2012 at 9:15 PM
Oh and if they were to have seperate rooms I'd imagine it would be easier to seperate the toys. But I will always encourage sharing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AidanTiarra
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 9:26 PM

My kids are just over 13 months apart, but different genders. They have separate rooms but they also have a playroom. Most of their toys are individual since they have different intrests but they have some that are shared as well.

Kris_PBG
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 9:26 PM
2 moms liked this

My boys share everything.  We buy toys for each of them seperately, but  for the most party, they don't make a distinction between the toys.  It is kind of a big free for all. 

It is nice b/c everything is pretty much shared...  BUT...  I have to be honest and say they developed this themselves - we didn't really encourage anything - I guess they just were clever enough to realize that sharing meant double the toys!  LOL!!!!!! 

Really - what they fight over is who's "show" they are going to watch - that results in tears and screaming.  (And then the tv goes off - so they are obviously not clever enough to figure that one out yet!) LOL!!!!!!!!!

signingmama2915
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:31 PM
My kids tend to share. Both boys, have their own toys but share. Sometimes they dont want to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:35 PM

My boys each have their own toys, but they share them with each other.  Each boy claims the things that he got for his birthday, Christmas, Easter, etc as his own.  Our rule is that if you want to play with something of your brother's, you have to ask him nicely and he has to respond to you nicely.  Meaning that you can't just take it and he can't be mean about saying no to you playing with it.  He can say no, so long as it does it in a nice way.

littleacorn
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:36 PM
They mostly share but have a few special toys that are just their own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:36 PM

they mostly have communal toys.. they each have a few that are strictly " theirs"

Jamie1972
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:39 PM
With 2 boys and a girl all within 2 yrs of each other they share everything. Well except thr barbies,and babydolls lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)