Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teachers - a question from a homeschool Mom

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 10:32 PM
  • 65 Replies

This is Autumn's last year at home. Actually, it's her last semester. She wants to transition back into Catholic school after Christmas. It is a K-8 school and she will be entering 6th grade (middle of 6th grade year). We were able to get the school's curriculum and scope/sequence list for the middle grades when I talked to the school about mid-year enrollment.

I'm caught between a rock and a hard spot though, I feel. Autumn hates history. I *can* spend this semester letting her study the middle ages, like she wants, OR I can follow the school's scope and sequence and have her study world history from beginning of time (and I can buy the same text the school uses)... but... I feel like letting her study the middle ages would give us the most hope we have to ignite SOME amount of excitement for a subject she genuinely dislikes. This will be our last chance to do this for her.

Having her study a different era in history... will it matter very much if she is entering mid year? In 6th grade, at this school, they study beginning of time through middle ages (throughout the entire year), studying ren through exploration in 7th grade.

In other words, how important is it to have her study the same period in history, knowing she is entering mid year. I know this is a content subject; not a skill based subject (like math or language arts), so I'm not sure if I'm hurting or helping by considering her preferences.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 10:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 12:16 AM

I am not a teacher but another homeschool mom.

I would worry about her being tested on material she doesn't know.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

I am not a teacher but another homeschool mom.

I would worry about her being tested on material she doesn't know.

Yikes. I'm sorry. I should have been more specific. The reason I'm considering stepping out of the scope/sequence is that she is NOT tested on history and science, she will be tested only on core skill areas - grammar, composition, reading, math concepts and application. I'm not sure how big a deal it would be for her to not be following the same scope/sequence in history; she won't be tested on it, but I'm not sure how difficult it would make the transition for her. I will still have my two boys at home and would like her last semester to be as fun as possible, while still readying her for brick and mortar.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

EmmaKatesMom902
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 7:59 AM
If shes going to go to regular school middle of the year, she needs to follow their curriculum
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Quoting EmmaKatesMom902:

If shes going to go to regular school middle of the year, she needs to follow their curriculum

Are you a teacher? If so, can you be more specific? I was looking for an explanation as to why it would, or would not, be difficult for her to transition if we step outside the scope for history. We cannot "follow their curriculum". I cannot emulate a school's curriculum. I do have the ability to buy their history book, but not the rest of their specific textbooks (many textbook publishers only sell to schools, not individuals). I can follow their scope, not their curriculum.

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 8:45 AM

They don't have finals in middle school?  Ours does.  I'm a special ed teacher in an elementary school.  Personally, I'd have her follow what the school's doing.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 8:49 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't think that you are asking the right people, although I think that you are doing the right thing.  Ask the SCHOOL.  They will know what sorts of testing, projects, etc.  they do relating to that course and whether or not previous knowledge is necessary to succeed.  I guess that my concern would be starting in the middle of the year.  Why is she not going back at the beginning?  This, to me, could really cause issues on several fronts.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Quoting disneymom2two:

They don't have finals in middle school?  Ours does.  I'm a special ed teacher in an elementary school.  Personally, I'd have her follow what the school's doing.

I'm sure there are class specific finals, but she will be taking an entrance exam to get in - not a final. Lol. The entrance exam only tests core skill areas, not content subjects (like science and history). Autumn won't be the only new student mid-year.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Disneymom was typing at the same time and YES all of our middle/junior highs have midterms and finals.  She is right.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Entrance exams are used for placement purposes, not testing TOTAL knowledge base.  Final exams are NOT the same thing.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting disneymom2two:

I'm sure there are class specific finals, but she will be taking an entrance exam to get in - not a final. Lol. The entrance exam only tests core skill areas, not content subjects (like science and history). Autumn won't be the only new student mid-year.

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Autumn won't be the only new student mid-year. 

That's good.  I transferred into Catholic school midyear in 4th grade.  I was the only kid transferring in and the public school was not using the same curriculum which made it very difficult for me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)