Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Teachers - a question from a homeschool Mom

Posted by   + Show Post

This is Autumn's last year at home. Actually, it's her last semester. She wants to transition back into Catholic school after Christmas. It is a K-8 school and she will be entering 6th grade (middle of 6th grade year). We were able to get the school's curriculum and scope/sequence list for the middle grades when I talked to the school about mid-year enrollment.

I'm caught between a rock and a hard spot though, I feel. Autumn hates history. I *can* spend this semester letting her study the middle ages, like she wants, OR I can follow the school's scope and sequence and have her study world history from beginning of time (and I can buy the same text the school uses)... but... I feel like letting her study the middle ages would give us the most hope we have to ignite SOME amount of excitement for a subject she genuinely dislikes. This will be our last chance to do this for her.

Having her study a different era in history... will it matter very much if she is entering mid year? In 6th grade, at this school, they study beginning of time through middle ages (throughout the entire year), studying ren through exploration in 7th grade.

In other words, how important is it to have her study the same period in history, knowing she is entering mid year. I know this is a content subject; not a skill based subject (like math or language arts), so I'm not sure if I'm hurting or helping by considering her preferences.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 10:32 PM
Replies (61-65):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I'm mobile right now. I stated our reasons a page back, I think. I'll quote in a minute.

ETA: I'm back on the mac now. With the reasons I stated previously (in the post) our two options are 1) enter her mid year when the program is more firmly in place and she has the ability to keep up with the other students in language arts, or 2) keep her home this entire next year and enter her in 7th grade at the school; when the school has had an entire year to begin implementing the new program.

The reason we pulled her from school in the first place was because there were no Catholic school options for dyslexic students; now there is, but until we know it is implemented, we can't (won't) do that to our daughter again.

Quoting MB13:

I am a retired Catholic middle school teacher, and I agree that you should talk to the specific teacher as to how much the content matter from first semester will impact her ability to keep up during second semester.  We did have final exams over content matter, but also had papers, reports and projects where they learned research and presentation skills throughout the year that they had to use with each new assignment.

I also question why you are waiting until the middle of the year.  It seems like it would be a much smoother transition all around if she enters with the other students at the begininning of the school year. 

Quoting mjande4:

I don't think that you are asking the right people, although I think that you are doing the right thing.  Ask the SCHOOL.  They will know what sorts of testing, projects, etc.  they do relating to that course and whether or not previous knowledge is necessary to succeed.  I guess that my concern would be starting in the middle of the year.  Why is she not going back at the beginning?  This, to me, could really cause issues on several fronts.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

MB13
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I see.  I didn't realize from your original post that she was dyslexic and had special needs.  I hope they are able to accomodate her!  My son is also dyslexic and dysgraphic.  He went through Catholic school.  We were able to hire a tutor that specialized in the alphabetic phonics program.  She worked with him an hour a day during the regular reading time during 2nd - 5th grade.  He still struggles some with reading and writing, and especially spelling, but he just graduated from the Catholic High School's regents curriculum with above a 3.0 GPA.  He learned a lot of skills through that program, and also learned methods to compensate during his study skills classes in high school.  I hope the program that they are starting helps your daughter be successful!

Quoting AutymsMommy:. 

I'm mobile right now. I stated our reasons a page back, I think. I'll quote in a minute.

ETA: I'm back on the mac now. With the reasons I stated previously (in the post) our two options are 1) enter her mid year when the program is more firmly in place and she has the ability to keep up with the other students in language arts, or 2) keep her home this entire next year and enter her in 7th grade at the school; when the school has had an entire year to begin implementing the new program.

The reason we pulled her from school in the first place was because there were no Catholic school options for dyslexic students; now there is, but until we know it is implemented, we can't (won't) do that to our daughter again.

Quoting MB13:

I am a retired Catholic middle school teacher, and I agree that you should talk to the specific teacher as to how much the content matter from first semester will impact her ability to keep up during second semester.  We did have final exams over content matter, but also had papers, reports and projects where they learned research and presentation skills throughout the year that they had to use with each new assignment.

I also question why you are waiting until the middle of the year.  It seems like it would be a much smoother transition all around if she enters with the other students at the begininning of the school year. 

Quoting mjande4:

I don't think that you are asking the right people, although I think that you are doing the right thing.  Ask the SCHOOL.  They will know what sorts of testing, projects, etc.  they do relating to that course and whether or not previous knowledge is necessary to succeed.  I guess that my concern would be starting in the middle of the year.  Why is she not going back at the beginning?  This, to me, could really cause issues on several fronts.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:30 PM

It's supposed to be a wonderful program (Arrowhead). I'm just a bit apprehensive to let her "start the program", so to speak. This is the first Catholic school in the area to make resources for children with learning differences, so we want to give them our full support. I think it's wonderful that they are doing it - knowing that most of the parishes here are pretty strapped for school funds.

Quoting MB13:

I see.  I didn't realize from your original post that she was dyslexic and had special needs.  I hope they are able to accomodate her!  My son is also dyslexic and dysgraphic.  He went through Catholic school.  We were able to hire a tutor that specialized in the alphabetic phonics program.  She worked with him an hour a day during the regular reading time during 2nd - 5th grade.  He still struggles some with reading and writing, and especially spelling, but he just graduated from the Catholic High School's regents curriculum with above a 3.0 GPA.  He learned a lot of skills through that program, and also learned methods to compensate during his study skills classes in high school.  I hope the program that they are starting helps your daughter be successful!

Quoting MB13:

Quoting mjande4:

MB13
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Yeah, our school was the first Catholic school in our area to add some special needs programs.  Unfortunately, with my son, we had to pay the extra fee for his tutor, but they were able to work it into the school program and schedule, and they set up special tutoring rooms for the students to use at school during the day.  By the time he had reached Middle School.  They had a fully staffed learning lab for students to receive special services.  Parents still paid extra for the one on one tutoring, but for small accomodations like oral test taking, or getting help with note taking, or practice with reading, we did not have to pay extra.  It is great that your school is starting this program.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

It's supposed to be a wonderful program (Arrowhead). I'm just a bit apprehensive to let her "start the program", so to speak. This is the first Catholic school in the area to make resources for children with learning differences, so we want to give them our full support. I think it's wonderful that they are doing it - knowing that most of the parishes here are pretty strapped for school funds.

Quoting MB13:

Quoting MB13:

Quoting mjande4:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:53 PM

We will have to pay extra but we are going to play it by ear when we enroll. Right now, according to testing and day to day observance, she only *seems* to be about a grade level behind in reading stamina, spelling, and writing output. This means that she has progressed almost 2 grade level equivalents since coming home. There is a chance that after another semester/year of working with her, she may not need extra services and may just need to be supplemented with her current special needs curricula at home.

Here's to hoping anyway :) We've had a problem with bullying in the past and don't want her receiving services at school to result in a target painted on her forehead.

Quoting MB13:

Yeah, our school was the first Catholic school in our area to add some special needs programs.  Unfortunately, with my son, we had to pay the extra fee for his tutor, but they were able to work it into the school program and schedule, and they set up special tutoring rooms for the students to use at school during the day.  By the time he had reached Middle School.  They had a fully staffed learning lab for students to receive special services.  Parents still paid extra for the one on one tutoring, but for small accomodations like oral test taking, or getting help with note taking, or practice with reading, we did not have to pay extra.  It is great that your school is starting this program.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting MB13:

Quoting MB13:

Quoting mjande4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN