Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My son hates most of the school lunches and he doesn't like bread. So I am trying to think of some things I could send him for lunch that don't need to be heated up and are not sandwiches. Does anyone have any good ideas?

by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 3:40 PM
Replies (31-40):
AidanTiarra
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Quoting AidanTiarra:

My son hates most of the school lunches and he doesn't like bread. So I am trying to think of some things I could send him for lunch that don't need to be heated up and are not sandwiches. Does anyone have any good ideas?

Thanks ladies. There are a lot of great ideas here. His school doesn't start until the end of August so I'll try a few things over the next few weeks so we can see what he might like.

nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:18 PM

My DD loves Cheese Whiz spread on a tortilla and the rolled.  Will he eat that.  Cheese Whiz may not be the best thing out there but I spread it very thin and give her apple slices, grapes, raisins, etc. too.

our3
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Roll ups, pita, crackers, or just plain skip the sandwich. There is no rule that says kids have to have a snadwich or equivlent for lunch. Give fruits and vegs, hummus and carrots, raisens, grapes, cherries, salad, ect.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Quoting AidanTiarra:

Quoting aj23:

My son is the same way, I finally got him to at least try a PB sandwich last night for the first time. He ended up opening it up and licking the peanut butter off and throwing away the bread.
For school I got a thermos and he eats a lot of soup which he likes. I've sent him with spaghetti o's and mac and cheese every now and then too.  Pretty much anything small can be kept warm in there. I've sent popcorn chicken before and it stayed warm. His lunch was always the thermos with the food, one with a drink and a gogurt, apples, crackers or something small like that. He never ate much but the drink was still cold and the food was still warm when he got home so he could eat the rest here.

We always make our kids try foods every so often. He's had peanut butter 5 or 6 times but he still hates it. Maybe I'll try the thermos. I didn't think they would keep food warm for very long so I haven't tried that.

Thermos Tips

For best results, preheat your Thermos before adding the food;
    1.) Fill the Thermos with boiling water, close the lid and let sit for about 5 minutes.
    2.) When your food is hot and ready to add to the Thermos, pour out the water.
    3.) Immediately fill with your food and replace the lid:
    In extreme temperatures, wrap your thermos in a blanket or towel for extra insulation or pack in an insulated lunch bag.

mommynac
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Tacos. Brats. Corn dogs. Leftover pizza. Pad thai. Pasta. Meatballs.

littleacorn
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:45 PM
Leftovers, reheated at home in the morning and kept hot in a 1 cup sized Thermos.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littleacorn
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:48 PM
I've made yogurt in a Thermos before (on purpose. It wasn't a gross accident thing. Lol), which means it had to stay at a pretty high temperature for about 8 hours.

Quoting AidanTiarra:

Quoting aj23:

My son is the same way, I finally got him to at least try a PB sandwich last night for the first time. He ended up opening it up and licking the peanut butter off and throwing away the bread.
For school I got a thermos and he eats a lot of soup which he likes. I've sent him with spaghetti o's and mac and cheese every now and then too.  Pretty much anything small can be kept warm in there. I've sent popcorn chicken before and it stayed warm. His lunch was always the thermos with the food, one with a drink and a gogurt, apples, crackers or something small like that. He never ate much but the drink was still cold and the food was still warm when he got home so he could eat the rest here.

We always make our kids try foods every so often. He's had peanut butter 5 or 6 times but he still hates it. Maybe I'll try the thermos. I didn't think they would keep food warm for very long so I haven't tried that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jul. 19, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Bump!

JTROX
by Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 9:29 AM

My son's fave is pepperoni and wheat thins.  

Laurin283
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Usually after dinner during the school year, I'll ask my son if he wants the leftovers for lunch the next day.  If he says yes, then I will add things like cheese, fruit, veg with it and we're ready for school.  If he says no (because sometimes he's picky or stubborn and only finishes his dinner because we make him), then he gets a sandwich (I know, your's won't like that), or one of the following:

hummus with crackers or veg, hard boiled egg, fruit salad (often he's asked for ONLY this, but I have to add something small on the side to make it seem well rounded to me), english muffin pizzas, etc.  Just make a list of things he likes and keep them on hand, and if he doesn't want leftovers one day, sub in one from the list.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)