Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

At my end. I am going to start throwing toys away.

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 4:14 PM
  • 8 Replies

My son is almost 6. He has no respect for any of his things. None. All he does is make a mess and refuse to clean it up. I am at my end with this. I am tired of cleaning up after him. All he says is I dont want it anymore you can throw it away. Toys and things arent cheap, we all know this. I dont know what else to do. I am really concidering for his birthday that I am buying him no toys what so ever. I spend my hard earned money to get him the toys he likes and he treats them like crap. I really dont want to throw them out. but I dont know what else to do. Help!!!!

by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 4:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 18, 2012 at 4:43 PM

I don't see any reason to buy him toys for his birthday if he has a bunch. You could buy something fun like art supplies. 

I was just reading a blog about organizing and I'm thinking of using the idea of "get a toy, give a toy." After holidays and birthdays kids need to select toys they've outgrown to give away before they add new ones they get as gifts. 

We just went through and packed up all the baby toys to trade at the consignment shop. I told me son he can pick a new toy. He's so focused on the one new toy, he doesn't seem to mind that we're getting rid of tons of them. 

Good Luck. 

Shaylyn318
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Throw them out. I have done that with my kids when they refused to pick up their rooms. They were much younger but it worked. They are now 6 and 8 and pick up when they are told too. If you DS pretends to not care, call his bluff and throw them away or take them away for a certain time period. If you throw them out don't buy any new toys until you are sure he will pick them up. If you take them away then only give them back when he shows he can pick up his room.

SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 5:36 PM

DD is not getting toys for her 8th birthday for a similar reason. 

I would go through all of his toys and figure out what he plays with and what he doesn't. Then get rid of the ones he doesn't and see if it helps.

CafeMom Tickers
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 5:40 PM
Go through his room and help it clean so that it is what I call, "Mommy clean" everything picked up and in it's place. Vacuum and dust etc.

When it is done, sit down and have a family meeting and set out new rules and expectaitions. Our rule is cleanup before meals and at bedtime. If you take out 10 toys, fine...but when I call for meals, everything needs to get cleaned up. Anything left out at that time is either boxed and they must earn it back or thrown away.

If you box them, make a way to earn them back. It may be that any time he cleans on his own he earns a toy or two toys back or he earns a token and can trade tokens for tv/ video game time, trip to the park, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chinosruca
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:14 PM
We don't buy toys for my oldest. Stopped around 6. She gets practicle things: movies, books, clothes, purses, hair accesorries, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunflowers12
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 7:17 PM
Bag them up put them away for a while maybe he will miss them n make the choice to go a head and put them up when he is done.. but if its real bad just donate them... that way its not a total waist n for birthdays do an activity that way its an experience rather then just getting more things that is not really appreciated.. but its up to you:) hope everything works out:)
Capricorn0119
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 7:26 PM
My daughter wouldn't clean her room when she was about 4-5. I told her if I did it I was throwing everything thing on the floor away. She didn't do it so I got a garbage bag and started throwing her toys in it one by one as I picked them up for each toy that went in the bag she said "I don't care about that". So I said "great then you won't care when I give them all to Alanna either and you won't care when we go to her house and shes playing with all your toys". She WAILED "please momma please don't do that!" I said pick'em and put them where they go. She did.

Try to think of something he will care about and go in for the kill.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dacouponqueen
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 7:27 PM

We use the "What you clean you keep method" I set a timer at the end of the night and everything they clean up they get to keep in their rooms. Anything I clean up disappears for a bit. Then we have Amnesty Day wehre they can do extra work to get toys back.  I am in the same boat with you though. They are my MIL only grandchildren and she lives about 5 mins away, so when they go over every weeknd, they come home with a new toy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)