Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I got my son 's school list and I want to cry

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:10 PM
  • 252 Replies

I came  home from work today. I am feeling slightly overwhelm. NJ got hit with a minor rain storm . My work area was flooded. Anyhoo............ I open the mail and I saw my son third grade supply list. I am scanning through it and I  saw Legal Pad huh what for. lol sarcasmblank stare My son is going to third grade you think I would get over the shock over the supplies list. I just pray he does not have a growth sprout because he is wearing the same uniform shirts from last year. I am not complaining I am willing to go beyond to get want my son needs for school.  I am so not ready for school...............

Is there something on your child/children 's school list and asked yourself why would they need that for school?

by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:18 PM
My DDS list is pretty normal. They just want multiples of everything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lalasmama2007
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:20 PM
No, my DD's list was much smaller than I expected. She only needs two boxes of 24 count crayons and a backpack for kindergarten.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Legal pads are a pretty normal supply item.  I have tons of them around here and use them pretty much daily.  They are a dime a dozen at Walmart all the time.

ChristinaR
by Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:21 PM

mine is pretty normal too.. i have not seen my sons yet, and he is going to be in 7th grade this year.. i am already scared of whats to come..lol

Ametrine
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:21 PM

My DS is going to Kinder this year.  I was surprised at all the stuff they wanted....(a reem of printer paper??) Like my son will be using a whole freakin' reem of paper this coming year!

But a legal pad?  Wow.  Wondering how your child will be using that.  Guessing it's for the staff.

---

S-l-o-w  Breath.....

The sales are on.  Look at your local dollar store for as much as you can.  I did.  

Thankfully, your DS is like mine and wears the same size as last year.  But don't let that fool you.  Buy the next size up just in case he has a growth spurt halfway through the school year...when the stores are bringing in Spring things and it's still snowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:23 PM

They are cheaper than a dime a dozen at Walmart. lol  

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Office-Impressions-82359/19340659

KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this
The paper is just for the teacher to make copies. Honestly ive tracked it, on average ive gone through 1500 pieces of paper a MONTH from worksheets, tests, newsletters, projects, etc. Fortunately our district supplies the copy paper.

Quoting Ametrine:

My DS is going to Kinder this year.  I was surprised at all the stuff they wanted....(a reem of printer paper??) Like my son will be using a whole freakin' reem of paper this coming year!

But a legal pad?  Wow.  Wondering how your child will be using that.  Guessing it's for the staff.

---

S-l-o-w  Breath.....

The sales are on.  Look at your local dollar store for as much as you can.  I did.  

Thankfully, your DS is like mine and wears the same size as last year.  But don't let that fool you.  Buy the next size up just in case he has a growth spurt halfway through the school year...when the stores are bringing in Spring things and it's still snowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Your child will use way more than a reem of paper this school year, trust me.  They bring home more papers that you'd ever realize. 

Legals pads are used for taking notes and are really cheap.

Quoting Ametrine:

---

S-l-o-w  Breath.....

3babiesofmyown
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:26 PM
They're having parents supply the teachers and other kids. My daughter needs 6 boxes of crayons!!! Will she go through more than one box? Yeah most likely. Will the teacher make sure she gets more crayons from the 6 boxes I buy? Most likely not. I won't be suprised if she needs more during the year. I'm fine with helping out. As much as I can I donate stuff like this. But come on!! 2-3 I'd be ok with. Well this week toys r us has crayons for 4/$1. I got 20. That should cover it and some donations to the church. I'm still looking and dreading the uniforms. My advice: coupon, stock during sales and clearance, and try to prepare in advance. Not that I achieve these goals. But I try.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkieRed
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:26 PM
We can cry together, because I'm dreading back to school shopping too.

I normally love to shop, but money is just so tight for my husband and I right now, as I'm out of work.

My two kids both need a ton of new uniforms this year, shoes, etc, and my daughter, who's starting high school this fall needs a $100 scientific calculator as part of her supplies. I sure hope she'll be using it often, so we'll get our money's worth out of it.

I figured out that everything my kids are going to need for back to school is going to cost us about $800, and school starts in 4 weeks, with not enough paychecks in between now and then to afford everything.

I definitely feel your pain!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)