Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I have been a memeber of my sons school PTA for the last two years now. When this school year ended I was asked to become a board memeber for this up and coming year. And honestly I was surpised and excited and said yes when I was asked. My name was put on a ballot and at the end of the year everyone voted at the last PTA meeting and I made the board. Would you ever consider be a part of your kids PTA ?

by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 5:29 PM
Replies (21-30):
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 7:33 PM
Lol im toooo tired to add! But with 3 boys, 6 4 and 7mo their school will def get som

Quoting steelcrazy:

I will have 10 years total in our elementary PTA, 3 of those years where I'm involved with the middle/high school PTSA, and 9 years total at our middle/high school PTSA.  So 16 years of total PTA involvement for me, which seems INSANE!  Who knows, maybe once I'm done on my local level, I may run for office in my state PTA.  I do enjoy it so much and they alway are in need of people on our state board.  We'll see.

Quoting mommaFruFru:

Ill be with my primary school 4 yes in a row, then a 2 yr break.. They 2 more years in pto.. next school year ill be in primary and elm pto... I think im crazy!

Quoting steelcrazy:

Yes I am the ultimate PTA lady. I've been on our PTA board for 5 years now. I'm a past Treasurer and currently am serving as President. I have 4 more years at our elementary school, so 4 more years of elementary PTA.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chinosruca
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 7:34 PM
No, I would not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 7:34 PM
Lol im toooo tired to add! But with 3 boys, 6 4 and 7mo their school will def get some use outta me! Amd we may have more munchkins :-)

Quoting steelcrazy:

I will have 10 years total in our elementary PTA, 3 of those years where I'm involved with the middle/high school PTSA, and 9 years total at our middle/high school PTSA.  So 16 years of total PTA involvement for me, which seems INSANE!  Who knows, maybe once I'm done on my local level, I may run for office in my state PTA.  I do enjoy it so much and they alway are in need of people on our state board.  We'll see.

Quoting mommaFruFru:

Ill be with my primary school 4 yes in a row, then a 2 yr break.. They 2 more years in pto.. next school year ill be in primary and elm pto... I think im crazy!

Quoting steelcrazy:

Yes I am the ultimate PTA lady. I've been on our PTA board for 5 years now. I'm a past Treasurer and currently am serving as President. I have 4 more years at our elementary school, so 4 more years of elementary PTA.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Quoting periwinkle163:

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Market Day (www.marketday.com). I order a lot of things from them and would be crushed if the program had been yanked. Apparently our school gets about $200 a month just through parents' orders. My name and # will be on the order forms but the mom who did it before me said 99% of the orders are done online...in 2 years she's received 3 calls. Then I have to be there on pick up day to help sort orders and wait for the parents to pick them up (by 6). Seems easy.

Quoting M4LG5:

what is the program (if you don't mind me asking)?

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I always said no, I would just volunteer in the kids' classrooms. But...in May they announed if they did have a chair for this one committee, they would do away with the program. Well, I love and use the program a lot so I stepped up and saved the day. We'll see how it turns out. I was told there isn't much to do but it does require some work once a month.

I think I might have to take this over next year also, I'm not looking forward to it, but I can't see dropping the 2 grand it brings in for the teachers either. We have a lot of fun contests with the cookie and pie sells, the class the sells the most wins an icecream party that type of thing. Our school makes most of the money on those two big sales over the monthly sales. I have another mom that might do the actual sorting and passing out, but I might be stuck with the inputting sales and all the flyer and bulletin board stuff.

I've been in charge of Market Day for 5 years now and have done no order inputting at all, customers place their orders online.  The flyers are easy, I just drop them in the office to have them sent home with the kids.  IDK what all you do with the flyers, but I can't imagine it taking more than 30 minutes a month.  The hardest part of the whole thing is the sorting and passing out of the orders and that is only because you are there for a few hours.  Luckily my rep is awesome and her and I have so much fun hanging out together.

periwinkle163
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting periwinkle163:

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Market Day (www.marketday.com). I order a lot of things from them and would be crushed if the program had been yanked. Apparently our school gets about $200 a month just through parents' orders. My name and # will be on the order forms but the mom who did it before me said 99% of the orders are done online...in 2 years she's received 3 calls. Then I have to be there on pick up day to help sort orders and wait for the parents to pick them up (by 6). Seems easy.

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I always said no, I would just volunteer in the kids' classrooms. But...in May they announed if they did have a chair for this one committee, they would do away with the program. Well, I love and use the program a lot so I stepped up and saved the day. We'll see how it turns out. I was told there isn't much to do but it does require some work once a month.

I think I might have to take this over next year also, I'm not looking forward to it, but I can't see dropping the 2 grand it brings in for the teachers either. We have a lot of fun contests with the cookie and pie sells, the class the sells the most wins an icecream party that type of thing. Our school makes most of the money on those two big sales over the monthly sales. I have another mom that might do the actual sorting and passing out, but I might be stuck with the inputting sales and all the flyer and bulletin board stuff.

I've been in charge of Market Day for 5 years now and have done no order inputting at all, customers place their orders online.  The flyers are easy, I just drop them in the office to have them sent home with the kids.  IDK what all you do with the flyers, but I can't imagine it taking more than 30 minutes a month.  The hardest part of the whole thing is the sorting and passing out of the orders and that is only because you are there for a few hours.  Luckily my rep is awesome and her and I have so much fun hanging out together.

Here half the orders are sent in on the flyers, the internet sales go up each year though so hopefully there will be even more this year.

"It is my observations, though, that happiness limits the amount of suffering one is willing to inflict upon others"
— Jacqueline Carey (Kushiel's Dart)
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 7:45 PM
2 moms liked this
Hehe..I could say since we homescool... I run the PTA..lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CometGirl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Our school tried to start a PTO last year.  They had one meeting where elections were held and they planned a fundraiser.  As soon as the fundraiser was over the president disolved the PTO.  She did not like who had been elected to the other positions (it wasn't her cronies).  This is the second time a PTO has been tried at our school and fizzled so I doubt if it will be revived again.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Quoting CometGirl:

Our school tried to start a PTO last year.  They had one meeting where elections were held and they planned a fundraiser.  As soon as the fundraiser was over the president disolved the PTO.  She did not like who had been elected to the other positions (it wasn't her cronies).  This is the second time a PTO has been tried at our school and fizzled so I doubt if it will be revived again.

What a shame.  I'm not a fan of all of my fellow officers either, but I'm a big girl and am able to deal with people I don't like for the sake of the children.  Then again, if our school didn't have a PTA there wouldn't be any field trips, year books, carnivals, track & field days, talent shows, after school clubs . . . the list could go on and on and on.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 8:59 PM
Thanks! It seemed so easy but then I thought maybe I was just missing something. I used to ignore the flyers for years and then I broke down and finally placed an order...I've been hooked ever since!

Quoting steelcrazy:

Not to be funny, but I just finished up 5 years of heading our Market Day committee.  It is really easy, I promise.  In the 5 years that I did it, I doubt that I had a handfull of calls either.  We typically earn $250-$300/month on our sales.  The more people that order, the more money that you make.  I had to give it up though, because I wouldn't have time to do that along with being President and they needed me to be President more.  

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 9:04 PM
No one has ever done anything fun with contests here...I'll have to see if we can do something. Thanks for the idea!

Quoting periwinkle163:

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN