Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Maybe I just never picked up on before, or maybe it's a new thing this year... but I keep seeing all these mentions of items on the supply list being for the teacher's personal use.

confused

Nothing in my classroom is for my personal use. Every item is used to instruct the students. Whether or not they touch it, it's there for them. I don't use the dry erase markers to make my grocery list or the paper to print out invites to my kid's birthday party. 

I take that back, I do have  nail file in my desk. That is for my personal use. But other than what's in my purse, I can't come up with anything in the room that is for me and not used for the benefit of the students. 

Examples of items that are for the teacher and doesn't help the students please?

by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:57 PM
Replies (31-40):
MB13
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 7:55 PM
2 moms liked this

You don't have to buy them sharpened, just sharpen them before you send them to school!!!!! LOL  I didn't even know you could buy pre-sharpened pencils.

Quoting lanceandhailey:

We have post it notes and highlighters that we are to supply, one year was dry erase markers as well. I really don't mind though, I know it's for classroom use.

I was a little peeved that they are now asking for pre-sharpened  ticonderoga pencils only for 2nd grade though. 24 pack unsharpened is less than $3, and an 18 pack pre-sharpenedwas about $6. All she got was the 18 pack for now, I'll send more later.....I don't know why they can't just sharpen the pencils they will get dull...

quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 7:59 PM
Haha I gave my son's last teacher (for Christmas) a bucket of chocolates, Bath and Body Works hand sanitizer, and a Starbucks card.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I love this idea! I need to tell DH he has to het me a back to school teacher's gift....

Tylenol, chocolate, starbucks card....maybe a mani/pedi certificate...ohhh...yeah...DH is getting a back to school supply list!

Quoting JulesFairy:

Some of the things like dry erase markers and one year the school asked for a case not ream of paper do seem a bit much. And i wish that it was back to the old days when a teacher could simply get most of those supplies from their 500 supply budget. But the reality is that those days are gone and if they teacher is asking for chocolate to keep her happy while she teaches or tylenol to help with the headaches she gets from noisy chairs why not get it. I mean if my children need it when they are home i find a way to get what they need. why would school needs be any different?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvingMy3Girls
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 8:05 PM
My kids are in 8th and 3rd. I have never ever found the supply lists unreasonable. Maybe it's just my school. I try to send extras. I can't remember the exact amount the teachers are given to buy supplies with but it's a joke...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortycmlb
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Yep I know :/ Its not like the school district here couldnt do it, they had a 1/4 mil surplus last year!!!!

Quoting KairisMama:

Omg 1000 per teacher would be a DREAM. My budget is 50 bucks for the entire school year.

Quoting shortycmlb:

For a million dollars you can hire 20-25 teachers in my county. There are about 60 currently for k-12. THEN factor in janitorial, administration, etc etc. Building payments (yes they have a mortgage too!), insurance payments, medical benefits for employees, maintenence costs, repair costs, bus gas/ins/repair costs, sports building/track costs it goes on forever...... BUT I DO think they should budget $1,000 for each teacher for school supplies (they dont in my county :/) so most have to dig in their pockets :( The last few years though people have been holding fundraisers! AND the school did a drive on box tops and divided all of the money they got back between all the teachers. It amounted to about $200 per teacher in Wal-Mart gift certificates for school supplies :) 

Quoting Cindy18:

Quoting blue52:

I just spent time reading all of the comments on the several posts about supply lists...here is my two cents.

I homeschool. But my son did start out in public school..for four years.

Not every Teacher is a good Teacher. Not every Teacher uses all of the supplies and does something like give them back, use them for other students, etc....SOME Teachers sell there surplus at yard sales..Yes, I have seen it here. So Im guessing it depends on the area that one lives and the "type" of Teacher...

As for me. I did buy crayola and I did expect that my son use what I bought for HIM..which I did write his name on everything I sent in to public school.....If he told me he needed new crayons or the Teacher sent a note I would send his box plus a few others with a note for the Teacher to use on other kids...

I guess I think outside the box too much. I think that when schools get thousands of dollars per student to attend public school, and the school has millions of dollars in money for their "budget"...that they should give money to each classroom for supplies. I just think that the School could (budget) un necessary things to not have to ask for the moon when it comes to supplies..

But, I have to laugh at these posts. Yes, Mom's are complaining..but so are the ones on here commenting that say they are Teachers...LOL. It seems it is going both ways. You have parents complaining then you have Teachers complaining about the parents...

Whew! Im not happy with the reason my child was removed from public school......( TEACHERS were mistreating the kids and being mean, abusive. Causing him to be on a medical leave for severe school stress...in which I reported them to the state..in which caused them to get ripped for it...which caused us to have to move and homeschool for his safety thus having a Teacher tell me a year later that my complaints were TRUE...it did happen these so called "Teachers" was guilty)......but I am ever so glad I personally dont have to deal with the long, epensive supply lists and the Teachers....and yes those BAD Teachers that portray themselves as a good Teacher....

oh, lastly. NOT every School system is in areas that have stores with those super cheap prices. There is areas still in the USA of where there is LOW INCOME families and they do struggle with getting those supplies. Of course, that would be a totally new post...as its sad that families struggle and there kids suffer because they want nice named clothing and cool notebooks....simple smile

BLUE

Why is budget in quotes? Do you not believe that it's a real budget? And MILLIONS of dollars? Hmmmm..... Wonder where the millions are.... Most of the time the school system budget is teacher's salaries, administrators salaries, everything come out of that and be realistic, no one is going to work for pennies. Salaries are a necessity.

jiffypop2207
by Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 8:17 PM
So none of my property taxes go to the schools? I'm not talking about buying pencils and crayons. I'm just saying I figred that the taxes would cover their office supplies. Ya know its like me saying that when you come to my facility that you ned to bring your own bandages before I change your wound dressing

Quoting ButterflyGenie:

You might want to look up what property taxes are for. They difinitely are not for school supplies.

Quoting jiffypop2207:

I stil buy what they ask for I just don't understand why I have to because isn't that supposed to be taken care of with the property taxes I pay? What does that money go to?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ButterflyGenie
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 8:21 PM
No they don't. That would be state money funded for every school. Property taxes go to Waterworks, road upkeep, you get it? Go to your local meetings and find out what property taxes are for in your area. They are not meant to buy school supplies.

Quoting jiffypop2207:

So none of my property taxes go to the schools? I'm not talking about buying pencils and crayons. I'm just saying I figred that the taxes would cover their office supplies. Ya know its like me saying that when you come to my facility that you ned to bring your own bandages before I change your wound dressing

Quoting ButterflyGenie:

You might want to look up what property taxes are for. They difinitely are not for school supplies.

Quoting jiffypop2207:

I stil buy what they ask for I just don't understand why I have to because isn't that supposed to be taken care of with the property taxes I pay? What does that money go to?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jiffypop2207
by Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 8:25 PM
So then why do my property taxes go up when the school board votes/approves things

Quoting ButterflyGenie:

No they don't. That would be state money funded for every school. Property taxes go to Waterworks, road upkeep, you get it? Go to your local meetings and find out what property taxes are for in your area. They are not meant to buy school supplies.

Quoting jiffypop2207:

Quoting ButterflyGenie:

Quoting jiffypop2207:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hollydaze1974
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this
If I saw tampons or valium on the list, THEN I would think it was for personal use! :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ButterflyGenie
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 8:28 PM
That's for the school board and new buildings, upkeep, additional help, teacher pay increases. It is not for school supplies. I promise.

Quoting jiffypop2207:

So then why do my property taxes go up when the school board votes/approves things

Quoting ButterflyGenie:

Quoting jiffypop2207:

Quoting ButterflyGenie:

Quoting jiffypop2207:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MB13
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Are you kidding me???? I pay out the wazoo, for every bandage and such that I receive at any medical facility!  I wish that I COULD bring my own and take that off my bill!!!!!

Quoting jiffypop2207:

Quoting ButterflyGenie:

Quoting jiffypop2207:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)