Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Handling bullies resources?

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:02 AM
  • 3 Replies

My 9 year old is a nice kid who gets his feelings hurt easily..he was in day camp yesterday and almost in tears coming home telling me that some kid was being a bully.

When I asked him what the kid did, he first said"he told me my Youtube channel was stupid." I told him that disagreement or not liking something someone does isn't being a bully-that we are allowed to disagree even if the kid was being rude.

BUT then he said, the kid kept following him around camp and calling him names and at one point pushed him. He says the counselors didn't really do anything.

Are there some online resources we can look at? What IS a bully? What to do if being bullied when the adults do nothing?

I told him, from now on, if anyone touches him (shoves, hits, etc) while bullying he has my permission to defend himself.

by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
anxiousschk
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Actually, I wouldn't tell him to push back.  I'd tell him to try and stay near a counselor (not super close - but within earshot).  Then you name the child and the behavior.  "John!  Stop pushing me!"    Our ears tend to pick that up over "he's touching me!"   

He will and should get into trouble for pushing back.  Walking away is a better answer, IMO. 

Check out www.olweus.com   it's an institute that provides bullying prevention and awareness training.  

quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:34 AM
I put my son in karate when he had a bully situation. It boosted his confidence to be more vocal and they talk a lot in karate about bullies (much better than I ever could).

Oh and my son has my permission to fight back. I'm not raising a punching bag.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bookmommy
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I agree. Bullies are bullies because it is tolerated. They get "yelled at" and no consequences happen. They become brave..I don't believe in "turning the other cheek". If someone hits or touches my child in anger, he has my permission to defend himself or it WILL happen over and over..

Quoting quickbooksworm:

I put my son in karate when he had a bully situation. It boosted his confidence to be more vocal and they talk a lot in karate about bullies (much better than I ever could).

Oh and my son has my permission to fight back. I'm not raising a punching bag.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN