Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How old?

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:04 AM
  • 10 Replies
How old should a child be before you color their hair? My daughter wants highlight she's only 6. I told her no.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cindy18
by Cruella on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I never let my DD dye her hair. She is 19 now. I don't see the reason for a child to dye their hair. But if I have to put an age on it, 14 would be the youngest I would ever consider it.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this
For permanent hair color, I'd say a teenager. You can add hi-lights with chalk that will last for a little bit. I would do that on a six year old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3babiesofmyown
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:10 AM
I've never colored mine and would hope my daughter won't color hers either. But 14 sounds good as long as I approve if what she's doing. And I guess durin the summer a few crazy colors might be ok just for fun. But overall I'd worry about the general health of her hair so she's have to have it done right and pay for it herself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
banana-bear
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:28 AM
No magic age, just whenever you feel they are ready. I would never suggest using a permanent dye though. Something wash-out would be required. My daughter (at age 5) wanted her hair purple for spirit day at her old school. Luckily it was on Halloween so I could get the spray paint kind....and she ended up wanting to keep the purple hair for her costume that night; she was Rapunzel and wanted the purple hair more than her Rapunzel wig. Harmless fun, IMO.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 11:04 AM
I dont think there is a magic age. for chalk highlights or wash out stuff i would say whenever they want it. for permanent i would say old enough to understand the risk they are taking or when the benefots outweigh they risk. my cousin had to dye her hair at nine because nothing else could get rid of the lice. it was an absolute last resort but it worked. i sont think she died her hair again until she was in her twenties.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
signingmama2915
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Perm color? 12. Wash out, old enough to ask.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ckroch
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Haircut and color that will wash out with her shower tonight :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunflowers12
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 2:26 PM
12/13 til then just have to be a little kid:)
gracie0221
by Gracie on Jul. 21, 2012 at 3:41 PM
My dd is 6 and has always wanted to dye her hair a crazy color. I dont let her and her school doesn't allow it. I would let her do it when she is in high school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrystalDawn2506
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 4:40 PM

I gave DD a pink highlight last year it wasn't permanent though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)