Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

School supply lists....a parents point of view

This is the last I'll be posting on this topic. I just want to try one last time to be clear. My beliefs are as follows:

Teachers need items that the children may not be using. I find that valid and a reasonable request because the school districts do not provide enough of these items and teachers should not have to buy so much stuff out of pocket. (I say "so much" because we all have to buy stuff for work. Not everything will always be provided). That's not to say teachers should spend hundreds per year. Don't go to there because I spend plenty of money just to have what I need for work. $20 on personal favorites is reasonable, as well as asking parents to chip in a little. After all its our kids they're teaching. I believe teachers aren't paid enough or appreciated enough. I believe teachers ask for some weird things, but I also know they have a good reason I may not know about. If your method works then great. But to get through the stress of fulfilling all the requests I may make a sarcastic joke or two. I still appreciate the teachers.

Now I understand kids break things and go through a lot I supplies. I do take my job as a parent seriously and am trying to teach my children to respect their stuff. And I do take responsibility for managing their use of such items. I can't do so if I send tons of supplies and can't see how my child's using it. When she needs more crayons I'd like to know so I can discuss this with her. But not all parents do this so teachers are trying to adapt. Got it. We'll work together.

Teachers please understand that us parents are also worried about costs and putting food on the table while giving you what you need to teach our children. Ultimately even if we complain we will get what's on the list. Do you complain when you're waiting in the drive thru? I've worked fast food and trust me it's comparable. You're complaining when someone's doing their best to give you what you want. We are all guilty of this. Please use this opportunity to educate us parents. And a lot of the jokes are funny and very warranted. But I've tried to get understanding as well as make some jokes and mostly lend my support yet I've been catching crap. So for last time here it is. This is how I see school supply lists and I'm sure many parents agree. Those that don't want to provide, I'm sorry teachers have to deal with that. And I do often buy extra and make donations. It's just those donations are getting harder to make when I have to buy so much each year. Thank you. And please be nice on this post. At least to me. I'm trying here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 12:02 PM
Replies (41-50):
anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Haha :) 

It's a job I never want.   The only time I get fussy is when I go back inside to fix something that they got wrong (which isn't a huge deal) and they get an attitude with me.  It doesn't happen often, but when it does....

Quoting 3babiesofmyown:

Then you are like the few people I actually liked. lol.

Quoting anxiousschk:

I don't complain in the drive-thru.  

Tara922c
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 10:52 AM

My point is what does your dh having to buy his tools for mechanic school have to do with having to buy supplies for your child's classroom? He had to buy tools for his school, just as parents should buy school supplies for their children. Maybe I took your point the wrong way, but I thought you were saying that teachers should have to buy the school supplies because your husband had to buy tools for his school?

Quoting melisawoosley:

They refuse any other brand. Do you honestly think his tools took the place of his tuition? He has every bit of 20K in debt from that. They pay for what goes on their vehicle plus a small amount in labor. I pay for 20 glue sticks for all the extra kids 36 pencils for all the extra kids etc etc etc. Plus I pay a room fee, school fees, school taxes so your point?

Quoting Tara922c:

Quoting melisawoosley:

I feel for teachers I really do. My dh is a mechanic and to get his job, as a matter of fact to get his degree, he had to by 10,000 worth of tools. He doesn't get customers to buy them for him. They are directly out of our pocket and he makes little money also. I do NOT enjoy being told I cannot buy Dixon pencils that they must be Ticonderoga pencils. I don't mind to buy what's on the school supply list but why can't I buy great value disinfectanT wipes why is lysol or Clorox necessary? I understand Elmer's and crayola for the reason of them working good, but for that reason only. This is my opinion

Most schools include the preferred brand on the school list. My dd's school asked for Dixon pencils. I am pretty sure there are not too many teachers out there that would turn their noses up to Wal-Mart brand disinfecting wipes. Crayolas are better, but Roseart is better than nothing!

I understand that your dh had to pay 10,000 for tools to graduate, but teachers have to pay for their degrees' too. My degree was well over 20K in tuition alone. Children are not the teacher's customers. Your dh has the tools to do his trade, but I am sure he still charges the customer for the parts he needs.

melisawoosley
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this
Maybe you should go back to my original reply where it says I DO NOT MIND TO BUY WHAT'S ON THE LIST BUT I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY I CANNOT BUY THE CHEAPER VERSION AND NOT THE HIGH DOLLAR

Quoting Tara922c:

My point is what does your dh having to buy his tools for mechanic school have to do with having to buy supplies for your child's classroom? He had to buy tools for his school, just as parents should buy school supplies for their children. Maybe I took your point the wrong way, but I thought you were saying that teachers should have to buy the school supplies because your husband had to buy tools for his school?

Quoting melisawoosley:

They refuse any other brand. Do you honestly think his tools took the place of his tuition? He has every bit of 20K in debt from that. They pay for what goes on their vehicle plus a small amount in labor. I pay for 20 glue sticks for all the extra kids 36 pencils for all the extra kids etc etc etc. Plus I pay a room fee, school fees, school taxes so your point?

Quoting Tara922c:

Quoting melisawoosley:

I feel for teachers I really do. My dh is a mechanic and to get his job, as a matter of fact to get his degree, he had to by 10,000 worth of tools. He doesn't get customers to buy them for him. They are directly out of our pocket and he makes little money also. I do NOT enjoy being told I cannot buy Dixon pencils that they must be Ticonderoga pencils. I don't mind to buy what's on the school supply list but why can't I buy great value disinfectanT wipes why is lysol or Clorox necessary? I understand Elmer's and crayola for the reason of them working good, but for that reason only. This is my opinion

Most schools include the preferred brand on the school list. My dd's school asked for Dixon pencils. I am pretty sure there are not too many teachers out there that would turn their noses up to Wal-Mart brand disinfecting wipes. Crayolas are better, but Roseart is better than nothing!

I understand that your dh had to pay 10,000 for tools to graduate, but teachers have to pay for their degrees' too. My degree was well over 20K in tuition alone. Children are not the teacher's customers. Your dh has the tools to do his trade, but I am sure he still charges the customer for the parts he needs.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 23, 2012 at 11:04 AM

If I get my car repaired I pay for the parts they put in it and the consumable materials they use to fix it. That's the same thing with the supplies. Parents pay for the things used to teach the kids. 

I still have to purchase all the math manipulatives, books for my classroom library, decorations for the room, games for the classroom, extra furniture to use in the room, some of the technology I use, etc. So just like your husband most of the "tools" I need come right out of my pocket. 

Quoting melisawoosley:

Quoting Tara922c:

Quoting melisawoosley:

melisawoosley
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I think the point everyone is missing is I'm not complaining about buying supplies I've already said this more than once. I'm complaining about the brand. That's like me telling you as a teacher that u absolutely can having nothing second hand in your classroom and as a matter of fact you must buy all furniture from pottery barn and cannot have off brands. I'm sure that would irritate you.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

If I get my car repaired I pay for the parts they put in it and the consumable materials they use to fix it. That's the same thing with the supplies. Parents pay for the things used to teach the kids. 

I still have to purchase all the math manipulatives, books for my classroom library, decorations for the room, games for the classroom, extra furniture to use in the room, some of the technology I use, etc. So just like your husband most of the "tools" I need come right out of my pocket. 

Quoting melisawoosley:

Quoting Tara922c:

Quoting melisawoosley:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
karlie2
by Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 11:49 AM
When I taught I would often spend hundreds a year out of pocket on supplies.
That is until I had my OWN kids. Then I began to think why should my children go without because others won't supply? We don't have a tonne of money either.

OP I am curious to know which other jobs require employees to buy items necessary to do their jobs? I am not including those who are self employed as they are technically the employer.
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I guess I'm just confused about your comments about your husband's tools. 

Quoting melisawoosley:

I think the point everyone is missing is I'm not complaining about buying supplies I've already said this more than once. I'm complaining about the brand. That's like me telling you as a teacher that u absolutely can having nothing second hand in your classroom and as a matter of fact you must buy all furniture from pottery barn and cannot have off brands. I'm sure that would irritate you.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting melisawoosley:

Quoting Tara922c:

Quoting melisawoosley:

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:13 PM
I agree... we try to do our best as parents to help the teachers out for our kids so they can teach them..
Tara922c
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I get that, thanks. Still, what does your husband having to buy 10K worth of tools have to do with name brand school supplies?

I have never met a teacher that would turn her nose up to off brand tissues, and I would have a problem if my dd's teacher had a problem with the puffs tissues I purchased rather than the kleenex brand on the list.

Quoting melisawoosley:

Maybe you should go back to my original reply where it says I DO NOT MIND TO BUY WHAT'S ON THE LIST BUT I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY I CANNOT BUY THE CHEAPER VERSION AND NOT THE HIGH DOLLAR

Quoting Tara922c:

Quoting melisawoosley:

Quoting Tara922c:

Quoting melisawoosley:

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Because...in many cases, you get what you pay for.

Did your DH buy his tools at the 99c store, and harbor freight? Or did he buy Snap-on and Craftman?

Just a few reasons...

Roseart crayons suck...gotta have crayola.

Expo dry erase markers last 5x as long as the generic.

Cheap pencils either break too much so the kids are up out of their seat which is a distraction, or have wraps on then which jam the sharpeners.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)