Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Hard Choice.

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 7:10 PM
  • 20 Replies

Hello All.

Right now we homeschool our children, we really enjoy it but because of the economy we've decided I should go back to work. I've applied at several places and am waiting to hear back.

Okay, here is the hard choice.

Public school starts here on the 22nd of August. Should we go ahead and put them in school or wait until I get a definite job offer? This is a really hard decision for us and it really makes my stomach hurt just thinking about putting them in school. There is a large part of me that wants to keep them home until I absolutely HAVE to send them but I am afraid that starting them later in the year will only hurt them academically and socially.

Thoughts?

They would be going into 1st and 2nd grade. My DD (1st grade) is working on a 2nd - 3rd grade level.

by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 7:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 7:10 PM

BUMP!

marilyn623
by Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this
If theyre going to school this year, then I would def start them at the begining of the year
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
janitablue
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I would have them register for school . The Pros it give you time to focus on finding a job. Good luck on your job hunt.

jen113000
by Jenna on Jul. 22, 2012 at 8:10 PM
I think I would go ahead and register them. It's easier being new with everyone else... then after school starts...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Larisa72
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I would go ahead and register them.  See if you can have them tested to make sure they are at the proper grade level - no sense sticking them in a class and having them be bored and not learning anything.

I did the reverse - pulled my oldest out of public school to home school him....youngest prefers public school, but then again, she's the more social child with no disabilities, so it makes sense in a way.

However....back to registering them....most school districts will test them to make sure that they have learned what they are "supposed" to have learned at a certain grade level....just a heads up

heathercm26
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 8:20 PM
I would continue to home school til the last minute. You may not find a job after all. Also i would get them tested right away so if need be you can get them brushed up on their skills.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I would have them start with everyone else. It's easier to adjust when you're starting with everyone else, imo. You should also find out if you're district has a gifted program for your kids if they're advanced.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Quoting Larisa72:

I would go ahead and register them.  See if you can have them tested to make sure they are at the proper grade level - no sense sticking them in a class and having them be bored and not learning anything.

I did the reverse - pulled my oldest out of public school to home school him....youngest prefers public school, but then again, she's the more social child with no disabilities, so it makes sense in a way.

However....back to registering them....most school districts will test them to make sure that they have learned what they are "supposed" to have learned at a certain grade level....just a heads up

My son was already tested because it is required by our state at the end of every school year and he will be fine in 2nd grade. I am thinking I will have my DD tested because she is working at a higher level then her brother and she is a year younger.

Thanks.

Cindy18
by Cruella on Jul. 22, 2012 at 8:34 PM

I agree. Start them now and then you can focus on finding a job and when you do get one, the kids will already be in a routine. 

Why are you so nervous about them going to school? Just curious. 

3babiesofmyown
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 8:35 PM
If you are for sure goin back to work and try will end up in public school this year then start them there. It will be easier on all and you can adjust to a new routine before going back to work. And it won't be so much change all at once. Then you'll also have a little time during the day to pre make some meals or do a little extra cleaning so you goin back to work is a very smooth transition. Good luck! I've been trying to quit for a while but we just aren't ready.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN