Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

School and Activities

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:02 PM
  • 45 Replies

Poll

Question: How many activities are your children involved in during the school year?

Options:

None

5 or more

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 52

View Results

During the school year, how many activities do you let your child participate in at a time?

by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I limit my boys to 2 activities/sports at a time.  With 2 kids involved in extracurriculars, it is hard on me to be running them both all over the place all the time, so I had to set the limit of 2 things at a time for each of them.

JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:18 PM

This will be our first year, but we will be doing 2. Dance on Friday and Soccer on Tuesday and Thursday. My girls are young enough that they are involved in the same things and I make sure they are at the same time and location, if they weren't I am not sure that even two would be feasible, since I have no help right now getting the kids to and from each event.

natesmom1228
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:31 PM

For us it really depends. It's usually no more then 2,but there was one time he was fencing, cub scouts, bowling and swimming. I have never had an issue with him being involved in things and not do well in school. He wants to get back into bowling and swimming. Cub scouts is done and he decided to not continue into boy scouts. I also think he might be done with fencing.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:47 PM
3 or even 4...

DS1 does Boy Scouts, parkour, Antlers, D&D (play n hang out but scheduled) and swordfighing. He is considering joining a swim team as well. As long as he maintains his grades and we can afford it, I don't care what he does. Swordfighting, D&D, Antlers are all free.

DS2 does Boy Scouts, gymnastics 2x a week, and will start both Confirmation and Antlers in a few weeks.

DD does Girl Scouts, gymnastics 2x a week and Karate 2x a week.

Edited to add...Antlers..it is a youth service group through the Elks Lodge. DS1 is active now and DS2 turns 12 yo in Sept and will join. It is another combo activity and my parents are advisors. Though it doesn't conflict with other activities, they usually pick up DS.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:53 PM

It's one or two.  Both my boys have swim lessons pretty much year round.  Those take place once a week for 1/2 hour.  They are considering taking the fall session off though for a break when school starts up.  But definitely by winter they will be back in it.

My older son (2nd grade) also does cub scouts.  Right now my younger son (Kindy) is too young for cub scouts (starts in 1st grade here) but once he is old enough he will probably do it too.

Swimming and cub scouts is plenty for them at this point.  As they get older I may let them take on more if they feel they want to or can handle it.  Or perhaps when they outgrow swim lessons we will replace it with something else.  We've looked into Tai Kwan Do but I just don't want to overload them right now.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 23, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I voted 2, but to be honest, it really depends on the commitment level of the activity. Sometimes he's been involved in more than 2, and sometimes it will only be one activity if it requires a huge commitment.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jul. 23, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I didn't vote. It depends on the season, and what one counts as an activity. 

It varies: 

ds #1: bowling & youth group

ds #2: fall modified soccer OR cross country, ref-ing U6 soccer with the rec. program; winter indoor soccer if Coach K puts in a team; Spring little league and track n field; year round youth group

ds #3: fall soccer; spring soccer & little league; year round Church thing

dn: fall soccer, spring soccer, year round Daisy scouts & Church... don't know about little league (it will depend on her mother's involvement)

ds #4: fall & spring soccer (it's all he's old enough for at the moment) and Church

.Laura10.
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 2:16 PM
My 5.5 year old is going into 1st and is in Karate and Gymnastics. She loves it. I don't restrict her and if she wants to do more, she can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

3 or even 4...

DS1 does Boy Scouts, parkour and D&D (play n hang out but scheduled) and swordfighing. He is considering joining a swim team as well. As long as he maintains his grades and we can afford it, I don't care what he does. Swordfighting and D&D are both free.

DS2 does Boy Scouts, gymnastics 2x a week, and Confirmation.

DD does Girl Scouts, gymnastics 2x a week and Karate 2x a week.

WOW!! I get tired just reading schedules like this. My mom has my siblings in a schedule like this only its actuallly only two things just huge commitments. How do you keep up with all of it?  Two is new for me but I think I will be fine, but like my mom sometimes has to have my grandma take the kids to events and such because she can't be in 2 places at once. Are your children old enough to be dropped off? Or is there a carpooling thing? I guess I am askign for future advice since I know a day will come where they don't want to do the same thing ans I will still have to make it work.

mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 2:46 PM

My oldest ( almost 7)  takes Karate 3-4x per week, has AWANA on Wednesday nights, Church choir on Sunday nights and she wants to start music lessons soon as well..we'll see..

My youngest will be starting Karate soon, which will be at least 3 days per week, and AWANA on Wednesday nights..she is only 4. 

We will allow 1 school activity and 1 out of school sport/activity...Church doesn't count though as we are very active in the Church as a family. Dh and I work in the Children's Ministry together on Sundays and then I work on Wednesday nights with AWANA. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN