Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

what age do you think a 5 year old should have a phone

Posted by   + Show Post

My mother thinks my 5 year needs a cell phone because he's always going to his great grandmothers or his cousins with his sister and hes at the age that he will be staying at friends. she thinks he needs one in case something happens to his great grandma he can call 911 and call me to come over. she also thinks it would be good so if he gets lost of kidnaped we can find him by GPS. A part of me says yes but the other part of me think he's only 5. I would only allow him to have it when he is going to a family or friends house to stay the night never at home or at school. What is your opinion.

by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:30 AM
Replies (11-20):
CometGirl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 9:32 AM

My DD didn't get her's until she was 15 and it was against my wishes.  My son won't be getting one until he is in high school.

nomadbrat83
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 9:46 AM
Yep when I was in HS pagers were the big thing and I was so happy when my parents for me one for my 14th bday. Lol

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

Quoting CTK3989:

I didn't have a cell phone until I was 12/13 because I had to walk to and from school. 

You make me feel old!  LOL

I didn't get my first cell phone until I was 24 year old because, well, too much before then it wasn't popular.  When I was in high school, it was popular for HS kids to have pagers.  Cell phones were pretty much unheard of except for amongst the rich (and then it was the big "car phones", not the cell phones).  Cell phones for kids???  Forget it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kcook55
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 9:48 AM
2 moms liked this

no cell phone untill my kids get a job and pay for the phone and the bill themself. 5 is way to young imo no need for one at that age since a 5 yr old should never be left alone

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 24, 2012 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

My son got his cellphone at close to 11, and there was no way he was ready for the responsibility of it beforehand.

Are you willing to make sure the phone stays charged and that he always has it with him? If not, then him having one for emergency use won't help because he probably either will have a dead cellphone battery or can't find it.

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I don't think a 5 year old needs a phone.  My daughter's 6 and has a walkie talkie.  She goes to a neighbor's a couple of houses away to play and the walkie talkie's signal reaches fine so I can call her home when I want.  My son had a firefly at around 8.  It didn't work all that well so I don't think I'll go that route with my daughter.  

our3
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Doesnt great grandma or cousins houses have a land line? If she is so worried about him being kid napped then have her buy just the kid GPS thing that attaches to the shoe or wrist. Why does he need a phone ?

Now my DD was almost 7 when she got her cell, but that was because we didnt have a landline and neither did her BFF, so when she would sleep over there she had a phone if she needed us. Plus when DH was gone he took the cell with him, and we would use hers if I needed to get ahold of DH.

Fields456
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 11:50 AM
I had. Pager. I didnt even have a cool one where you could send an actual message just a number and then you would have to
Find a phone to use lol. Abd I'm 26

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

Quoting CTK3989:

I didn't have a cell phone until I was 12/13 because I had to walk to and from school. 

You make me feel old!  LOL

I didn't get my first cell phone until I was 24 year old because, well, too much before then it wasn't popular.  When I was in high school, it was popular for HS kids to have pagers.  Cell phones were pretty much unheard of except for amongst the rich (and then it was the big "car phones", not the cell phones).  Cell phones for kids???  Forget it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cara5
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 11:52 AM

A five year old does not need his own phone.  Any phone with a battery charge will dial 911, even if there is no service/minutes/plan attached to it, so you could teach him that if his grandma needs help he can use an old phone for 911.  

We have 2 extra phones on our plan that belong to us, the parents, but we let the kids take them when they go places they  might need a phone.  My 11 year old does not have her own phone, but she has a phone that she can take when she goes to sleep overs etc..

Our kids are allowed to have their own phones at 13.  

banana-bear
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 11:53 AM

When my kids can buy one and pay for the phone bill, they can have one. 

notjstanothrmom
by Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

They have these cell phones made for kids that only have like 4 pre-programed numbers on them. They press 1,2,4 or 4 and it calls the corresponding person, then there is an answer button and end call button.

I think it's a good choice if the child is away from home a lot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN