Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

what age do you think a 5 year old should have a phone

Posted by   + Show Post

My mother thinks my 5 year needs a cell phone because he's always going to his great grandmothers or his cousins with his sister and hes at the age that he will be staying at friends. she thinks he needs one in case something happens to his great grandma he can call 911 and call me to come over. she also thinks it would be good so if he gets lost of kidnaped we can find him by GPS. A part of me says yes but the other part of me think he's only 5. I would only allow him to have it when he is going to a family or friends house to stay the night never at home or at school. What is your opinion.

by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:30 AM
Replies (21-30):
Fields456
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 11:56 AM
I think It really just depends on when you feel he/she needs one based
On the circumstances. My dd doesnt need one yet now her dad should be out of the military or at least stationed in Texas by the time she is 9-10 when that happeneds
And she starts her weekend and summer visits. She will have a cell phone just incase they also have cell phones that will only
Call. Preset numbers and 911 and I think that is closer to a wallkie talkie
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrazedMomof2
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I would never buy a 5 year old a cell phone.

My kids are 8 and 9 and dont have one.

I've been thinking about getting one in a couple years as a "family" phone they can take if they need it but nothing something they have all the time.

minimo77
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

My opinion, is that that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard!!!  Most people have home phones, and I doubt he is going to be going off by himself.

I laugh at the post where people get their kids phones, and are complaining that they lost/broke them(duhh!!) or that they are 10 and now what Iphones or laptops for their bdays....when does it stop.

Kris_PBG
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Quoting Traci_Momof2:

Good point about the life alert instead of a pager.
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 12:24 PM
No way is my 5 year old getting a cell phone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
apple409
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 12:26 PM

My daughter got her first cell when she was 13 and had it taken away real fast. It depends on the kid.

Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 12:30 PM
I don't think a 5 y/o needs a cell, or a 10 y/o for that matter. Kids should know how to use a phone in case of emergency, but typically don't need one if they're being supervised. And at that age, he better be supervised.
Kids should know important phone numbers, but don't need their own phone.
I know kids in kindergarten that were texting via moms phone, and I think it's ridiculous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 12:35 PM
No way should a 5 yo have a cell phone. There are so many reasons why.

I can see if there was a real need, IE: he woould be unsupervised for a lenght of time which should NOT be appening at 5yo.

My oldest got a cell at 12 yo ONLY because he went on a trip with Boy Scouts for 21 days to the east coast. We are in Los Angeles. He got to keep it when he returned on condition that he maintain A/B average in school. It is an older style flip phone so no internet/smart phone. That will NOT happen until he is out of my house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkieRed
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 12:52 PM
My kids are 9 and 14, and only the 14 year old has a cell phone. I got her one when she was 12 1/2, because she started taking the school bus home from school, and staying home alone for a few hours while my husband and I were at work.

Now at 14, she and her same age girl cousin will sometimes go to the mall alone, so the cell phone comes in handy. She is also enrolled in a summer program downtown at a local university, and takes two public busses each way to and from the program by herself, so I like that she can call me from her cell phone in the event of a problem.

My 9 year old son wants a cell phone, but he's not getting one. He's never anywhere unsupervised, and I never leave him home alone, either. He can wait until 12 or 13, like his sister.

I especially cannot imagine getting a 5 year old a cell phone. As other moms have said, if great grandma has serious health problems that might require calling 911, perhaps the 5 year old should not be left alone with her. And if need be, the 5 year old can call 911 from the home phone. That is best anyway, because 911 cannot always trace calls made from a cell phone. If she called from a landline, but could not give 911 her grandma's address, they could still trace the call.

And as far as kidnapping goes, very few kids are actually kidnapped by strangers. The media has blown stranger kidnappings all out of proportion, making parents unnecessarily paranoid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amzbrznjz
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 2:06 PM

my DD is 12 and we gave her hers last year...she plays for a traveling volleyball team and we thought it was good to have while away at games!

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

In general, I think it's ridiculous for a 5 year old to have a cell phone.  My 5 and 7 year olds don't even know how to use a cell phone.  Not to mention that a 5 year old should never be without competent adult supervision and in any emergency the adult should have a phone to use.  That burden shouldn't be put on a 5 year old.

In my family all the grandkids range in age from 4 year old to 13 years old (there are 7 of them total).  Only the 13 year old has a cell phone and she just got it for her 13th b-day this year.  It's not for money reasons either.  Her parents are not hurting for money by any means and they are quite sensible parents as well.  They've just never felt it was needed before now and even now it's on a trial run.

I suppose there could be individual circumstances that would warrant a 5 year old having a cell phone.  Only the parents can determine that.  I just can't think of anything myself where I think it's necessary for a 5 year old.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)