Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Ways to make things Easier for the School & Your child......

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 11:08 PM
  • 21 Replies
1 mom liked this

Im sure many who have been in the school settings can add to this list but there are things First time Parents can do to help make things run smoother. I use to be a Para pro YEARS ago and wonder what Parents was thinking or should I say NOT thinking hahaha Seemed like some wanted to make it as hard as possible for everyone involved. Ultimately when things go smoother it is better for your child and all involved so lesson plans can be completed, ect besides the small things always having to be taken care of that takes away from Classroom time. We all want the kids going back to school feeling prepared and calm and the first way to do this is for the Parents to be Organized and Ready.... Just things to think about- PLEASE ADD YOUR IDEAS TOO :)

1. If your child is riding a Bus, find out before time from the Transportation Department OR School what the Bus Number is and what time it will possibly be by. Put a piece of tape with the number on your child's shirt with that number (if the child is young) and even put his name and Bus number in his book bag so the Teacher is SURE to see this.

2. LABEL all of your childs items- Book Bags, Pencil Holders, Jackets,ect. This does take up a LOT of time when you are doing it for 22 or more kids.

3. LUNCH money or Bring your Lunch- Some school have rules about what a child CAN bring in their Lunch Box- You may want to check. Find out about cost of Lunches, we found it is easier IF POSSIBLE to pay by the week or even Month to get this out of the way and make sure it is in an envelope with the child's name, grade, Teachers Name on it. Try working in a Lunch Room handling 500 or more kids and an envelope arrive with money and NO NAME- HA, not fun.

4. Some Teachers for Younger kids like the kids to bring an extra set of cloths in a ZipLock Baggy- LABEL it and dont forget socks and panties/underwear ;)

5. If you are unable to go to the school before time or walk in the first day- MAKE sure you put a hone Number in the Book bag in case of an emergency

** Not sure why this was on my mind LOL I guess always seeing the hussel and bussel of the first few weeks of school made me think of things we all can do to make sure we try to do our part :)

by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 11:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JeremysMom
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 11:59 PM

bump Good suggestions. I'll add mine later, I am about to go to bed.

janitablue
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 12:05 AM
1 mom liked this

The first week of school be prepare to fill out papers for the  school and for the teacher The . information consist of the child name, What is your child favorite things, emergency contact etc.  Fo the emergency contact have a number of  a relative or a friend that can be a emergency contact in case the school can not get in touch with you.

momof3inCT
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with all the above but wanted to add in for first time moms...........a few lessons I learned the HARD way,

1-practice lunch with your kids make sure they can open any bags, containers or juice boxes, yogrts etc... my son came home with it all b/c no one would help him and he didnt ask :(

2-water bottle b/c it is good for t hem to have something to drink

3-snack  that is teacher approved, I got yelled at for rice krispie treat saying it was sugary! Whatever!!

4-find out days for Gym b/c they need sneakers or will loose credit/grade

5-find out library days and when books are due otherwise they cant take out more books and feel left out

6-label EVERYTHING

7-make sure  your child knows how they will be exiting the building and getting home they never went over this with my son and he came out and was wondering around looking for me :(   I felt terrible he was upset, I had asked for a tour of the school when we were new in town and they said they didnt offer it (now they do) so I just assumed the teacher would show him where to go......nope she relied on a fellow student who didnt do his job!!  

I am a 38 yr old married mom of 4, who HATES Drama, LOVES to raise her own kids, breastfed all 4, in FULL belief of discipline and SPANKING, disposable diapers, DOES vaccinate ALL my kids, and believes kids need rules and to have LOTS of fun!!!

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Jul. 25, 2012 at 12:56 PM
Quoting janitablue:

The first week of school be prepare to fill out papers for the  school and for the teacher The . information consist of the child name, What is your child favorite things, emergency contact etc.  Fo the emergency contact have a number of  a relative or a friend that can be a emergency contact in case the school can not get in touch with you.

mommy to two boys,
Tyler
Aug 9th,02
Jacob
dec 28,11
STKsMomma
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 12:59 PM
2 moms liked this
Get your child socialized!!!!! If this is the first time your child has been away from you for more the 1 hour. It might be time to leave them with a sitter or family or friends. There is nothing worse then a kid that is hysterical when you drop them off. It makes it hard on the other kids too.

Know the schools policy on bringing "toys" to school

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MB13
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Just send basic supplies to school.  Do not send animal erasers and slap bracelet rulers, etc. and other things that would cause distraction in class.  Please sharpen all pencils and colored pencils before sending them to school.

confused0701
by Member on Jul. 25, 2012 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Also if your kids have food allergy issues make sure you let the teacher know and make sure your kids know what they are and how to avoid them.  Also putting a label on the inside of a lunch box is also a good idea!  

When you label the lunch box do it in more than one place (ie bottom back and inside)  because it will get left or lost at some point I promise.  Also make sure you have a back up spare one incase your kid comes home without theirs.  Also when labeling it put your childs name, grade and teachers name on it.

Let your kid help you pack their stuff up so they know what they have and where its at.  

Find out what day is art class day (here its one day a week) and put on a shirt you don't mind them getting stained.  I can't tell you how many times my kid came home with unexplained stains, most I could get out but there were a few I couldn't.

Find out when PE/Gym day is make sure they wear sneakers and clothing that moves easy.  

Spare clothes for the younger ones is always a good idea.  What I did was put a complete outfit in a gallon size ziplock bag and labeled it with my daughters name and her teachers name and put in the bottom of her backpack where it stayed in case of an emergency and her teacher knew it was there!

Medicine!  Follow your schools rules but don't forget about any meds your kid will need to take daily or emerceny one (ie asthma, epi pens and whatever else i'm not thinking of right now)  

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jul. 25, 2012 at 1:09 PM

#3 kills me! I sent my son with a chocolate pudding cup and got a note that the snack needed to be healthy. Asked for a list of healthy snacks or what made something healthy. As the Pudding cup had less sugar, more calcium and less calories than the granola bar. Rice crispy treats are ofen lower in area (fat, calories) etc that most "healthy" items. 

Quoting momof3inCT:

I agree with all the above but wanted to add in for first time moms...........a few lessons I learned the HARD way,

1-practice lunch with your kids make sure they can open any bags, containers or juice boxes, yogrts etc... my son came home with it all b/c no one would help him and he didnt ask :(

2-water bottle b/c it is good for t hem to have something to drink

3-snack  that is teacher approved, I got yelled at for rice krispie treat saying it was sugary! Whatever!!

4-find out days for Gym b/c they need sneakers or will loose credit/grade

5-find out library days and when books are due otherwise they cant take out more books and feel left out

6-label EVERYTHING

7-make sure  your child knows how they will be exiting the building and getting home they never went over this with my son and he came out and was wondering around looking for me :(   I felt terrible he was upset, I had asked for a tour of the school when we were new in town and they said they didnt offer it (now they do) so I just assumed the teacher would show him where to go......nope she relied on a fellow student who didnt do his job!!  

Stephannie, wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex
full-time Auntie to Carly-Ann

New York Moms
Join us on The New York Moms Group! - - NY Moms Group Mod

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jul. 25, 2012 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

If you have more than one child: label jackets, sweatshirts, etc with just the last name if possible. 

I know my 2nd oldest went to school with a jacket that had his brothers name (first & last) and everyone was confused. From that point on I just did last name. Everyone knows who we are.... lol

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

If you have more than one child: label jackets, sweatshirts, etc with just the last name if possible. 

I know my 2nd oldest went to school with a jacket that had his brothers name (first & last) and everyone was confused. From that point on I just did last name. Everyone knows who we are.... lol

I can take it just one step further.  My boys names are Adam and Alex.  When Adam started school, I started labeling things like jackets & sweatshirts with "A. Lastname".  It works for Alex now just as well as it worked for Adam a couple years ago.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)