Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Reading, PA: A Sad Example of Our Public Schools in Crisis

Posted by   + Show Post

My oldest son will be starting kindergarten in the fall, after a stint in our great district pre-k program, and knowing that there are so many kids out there in struggling districts like this who won't get that opportunity is just really, really sad.

Election correspondent Linsday Ferrier admits that she got teary during one interview she did for this segment, and I will tell you that I actually cried actual tears watching it.

How do you think we can fix the problem? What is your own school district like? Are there any similarities to what the folks in Reading are going through?

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 3:43 PM
Replies (151-160):
Martina2367
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 10:41 AM
It's hearbreaking to see this in American School. What happened to: "No Child Should be Left Behind"? I strongly disagree in cutting funds from schools! What does it teach our children? That other things are more important than, they are.. So sad!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Martina2367:

It's hearbreaking to see this in American School. What happened to: "No Child Should be Left Behind"? I strongly disagree in cutting funds from schools! What does it teach our children? That other things are more important than, they are.. So sad!!

As noble as the original idea behind NCLB is/was, it didn't address the REAL determinant of a child's success. This, of course, is the PARENTS! Children spend the MAJORITY of their time OUTSIDE of school. The biggest factor in their success or failure is their HOMELIFE! It's not politically correct to say, but many times the truth isn't PC.
kaffedrikke
by Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Some would say more parental involvment is needed but how, when both parents are working? My mom was an elementary st and was shocked how far the.schools fell during her fifteen plus years of.teaching.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jesusismyfriend
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Quoting navymommy:

All this BS about needing pre-k.... its absolutely absurd! Yes... lets start shoving them off to school when they're only 4 now... even 3 in my district for pre-pre-k (seriously). These teacher's unions are out of control. They are just crazy. The suck in VAST amounts of money and WASTE it. They expect INSANE salaries and benefits and they do VERY little in the way of actual work.

Of course there are always AMAZING teachers. There are always the few that stand out above the rest.... but the rest is just what is to be expected with government run, not business or customer-satisfaction healthy capitalism-run mandatory programs like this.

Wherever there is money there is corruption. Wherever there is vast amounts of tax dollars there is a whole ton of corruption.

The schools WANT to fail so that they can put out sad, heart wrenching videos and inconvenience all the parents to the point that they get MORE money. Because, hey, its all about the poor children, right?

Then ask why they cut the bus program or the sports program but didn't take a pay cut or spend less money on the teachers' convention that year...

I'm just sick of this BS.

And pre-k is so unnecessary. Its just "free" daycare and an excuse to crank up taxes. Kids don't do any better because of it and it is just a bunch of BS.

Prek for some might be free daycare but ask of my children went. They are special needs and needed the speech therapy and occupational therapy.
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 11:06 AM
2 moms liked this
Quoting kaffedrikke:

Some would say more parental involvment is needed but how, when both parents are working? My mom was an elementary st and was shocked how far the.schools fell during her fifteen plus years of.teaching.

Parental involvement doesn't mean mom has to be at the school EVERY day. It means that the parents make education a PRIORITY in their home by making sure homework is done, knowing when tests are coming up, taking their child to the library, and expecting success from their kid.
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting jesusismyfriend:

Pre-K is the new kindergarten. I would vehemently disagree that it is daycare! It's VERY obvious to kindergarten teachers which children have NOT gone to school prior to kindergarten. UGH!
jesusismyfriend
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Quoting mjande4:

I agree. Because if Prek my kids could the help they needed and catch up to their peers.
bren_darlene
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Public schools have been "in crisis" in far more ways than this for many, many years.  They have been in crisis in  educating  for so very long.  None of my children have been in the public schools for 20 yrs.  All were/are home educated.  Down to my last one now as all the others have graduated  :-)

punkysmom1125
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 12:35 PM
3 moms liked this

Esther,

As a teacher with over 20 years of experience in public schools, your attitude is a big part of the problem. Teachers must earn a Bachelor's and Master's degree in order to teach in public schools.  College professors only study two years longer, and I don't see you complaining about their salaries.  Lawyers also only have three years of post Bachelor education, make their own hours, and are paid incredibly well.  People should be paid for their expertise and knowledge.  If you think just anyone can be a teacher, then why aren't you one yourself?  I work with many teachers in their 30's who are still paying off their college loans.

Teaching is something you do because you love it.  Teachers do not work six hours, but most bring work home with them nightly.  You perception speaks of an ignorance of all that teachers do.  There are lessons to be prepared, parent phone calls to make, essays and homework to be graded.  During the school day, a teacher is lucky if she gets to each her PB&J during her 20 minute lunch period.  You cannot have a quiet day at your desk.  Then add that so many kids have no respect for their teachers because of parents who have poor attitudes like yours, and the job becomes that much more difficult for students and teachers.  Add budget cuts and 30 plus kids to class sections and it becomes nearly impossible to give each student what he or she need.

Let's discuss the real problem.  Schools reflect the communities they serve, not the other way around.  The family is what needs help if schools are to improve.  When children come to school loved, and cared for, well-fed and well rested, they can learn despite any academic challenges they face.  My own two daughters, both on the autism spectrum, do well in school because I am a good parent.  When children are raised in chaos, with parents absent or drinking or abusive, they are not ready for school.  Children come to school hungry, dirty, tired, lost, and hurting.  They have such deep emotional holes that academics is remote to them.  They need emotional intervention before they can learn, and yet the social workers and psychologists are the first to be cut in school budgets.

Where are the parents when homework help is needed?  So many parents never show up for parent conferences?  Are there some bad teachers? Yes.  However, most teachers I know are dedicated, caring,  and hardworking.  They have chosen a profession that is not lucrative nor glorious nor even respected anymore.  They want to help kids.  The real problem is bad parenting, families who don't function because they don't know how, need help, or won't take responsibility for the children they have created.

I love my job, I love the kids I teach.  But I wouldn't tell someone to go into teaching now.  I graduated with a 3.7 from Fordham University, earned a 4.0 in grad school.  I had other options.  I chose to teach.  I love my  students.  I love teaching them and helping them.  But teachers are being asked to work miracles that no other social service agency or government body or politician can do.  Fix a generation.  I am tired of being scape-goated by politicians and families for the ills of society.  All I have ever done is try to help kids.  What have you done to make it better?

PinkieRed
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 12:55 PM
I agree with this. Kids are expected to learn much more in kindergarten today than when most of us moms were kids, and are expected to come in knowing a lot more than we did at that age.

I do believe that every child needs preschool, especially kids from lower-income families.

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting jesusismyfriend:

Pre-K is the new kindergarten. I would vehemently disagree that it is daycare! It's VERY obvious to kindergarten teachers which children have NOT gone to school prior to kindergarten. UGH!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN