Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Has anyone heard of this.  We moved to a different state last yr and this wasnt mentioned when I registered the kids.  There was a special insert in the local paper for back to school and one of the articles mentioned that the elemtary school required a $17 book rental fee. We were not required to pay one at their old school so this kinda threw me. lol

by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 10:07 PM
Replies (31-37):
JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 12:28 AM
I thought the same thing. I am not one of the schools affected but I would imagine that the free and reduced lunch waiver would apply here to. But I worry more about the people like me who dont qualify for free or reduced lunch by less than one hundred dollars. I make 40 too much which would just about even out with buying lunch everyday but you add a 50 bus fee and a 20 student fee and you are way over on the budget.

Quoting firefly63701:

Quoting JulesFairy:

Different schools here in central CO just added bus fees and book fees although the called it student fees. They just announced it last week for the upcoming school year which starts in a few weeks, that's what surprised me, if you are hurting you had no way of knowing those fees where coming. Not a good idea to spring it on people at the last minute.

No it a terrible thing to do.  I was told that if you are on lunch program the fees will be waived so I seriously wonder how much money they actually take in since we are in a pretty poor town.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
firefly63701
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Quoting JulesFairy:

I thought the same thing. I am not one of the schools affected but I would imagine that the free and reduced lunch waiver would apply here to. But I worry more about the people like me who dont qualify for free or reduced lunch by less than one hundred dollars. I make 40 too much which would just about even out with buying lunch everyday but you add a 50 bus fee and a 20 student fee and you are way over on the budget.

Quoting firefly63701:

Quoting JulesFairy:

Different schools here in central CO just added bus fees and book fees although the called it student fees. They just announced it last week for the upcoming school year which starts in a few weeks, that's what surprised me, if you are hurting you had no way of knowing those fees where coming. Not a good idea to spring it on people at the last minute.

No it a terrible thing to do.  I was told that if you are on lunch program the fees will be waived so I seriously wonder how much money they actually take in since we are in a pretty poor town.

if the elementary school had a bus system they would prob charge for that.  Our town is small and alot of the students live within walking distance.  We're 3 bks from the school.  if they cant walk they get driven.

JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 12:37 AM
Our school is a small charter school that doesnt have any buses. They offer you a chance to enroll in a carpool group so you dont have to drive back and forth everyday but until i am comfortable with parents i am not sending my child with them. No offense to anyone but its not a risk I am willing to take

Quoting firefly63701:

Quoting JulesFairy:

Quoting firefly63701:

Quoting JulesFairy:

if the elementary school had a bus system they would prob charge for that.  Our town is small and alot of the students live within walking distance.  We're 3 bks from the school.  if they cant walk they get driven.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
firefly63701
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Quoting JulesFairy:

Our school is a small charter school that doesnt have any buses. They offer you a chance to enroll in a carpool group so you dont have to drive back and forth everyday but until i am comfortable with parents i am not sending my child with them. No offense to anyone but its not a risk I am willing to take

Quoting firefly63701:

Quoting JulesFairy:

Quoting firefly63701:

Quoting JulesFairy:

I  dont blame you.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Aug. 1, 2012 at 1:17 AM

No, we don't have to do this

hollinicole
by Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 7:56 AM
Never heard of that, I do know if the book is not returned or is really messed up you have to pay for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I have never heard of it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)