Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Back to school clothes: whats the damage?

Hello- I am wondering what is the average amount other mothers spend, per child, on clothes only. Where do you find the best prices, and do brands  matter to them? What are the "cool" brands this year? I lean towards Chaps and Tony Hawk from Kohls. Where do you shop, aside from Goodwill and thrift stores? This is the first year my older son cared about brand name :( Which means, of course, that little brother does, too. Sigh....Is there any difference in, say, Sonoma, as opposed to Levi or Lees? Thanks so much for your time!

Dawn
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:47 AM
Replies (41-50):
natesmom1228
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I don't buy clothes for back to school specifically. My son has a ton of clothes. I always buy name brands because the quality is so much better.

the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:31 AM
So far I spent $225 on back to school shorts, shirts & pants. Still need to get them shoes. This is for all 3 boys (8th, 3rd, 1st). I don't have a set amount...just buy what they need.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maidjillian
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:51 AM

My son is only going into K and so far doesn't care about brand names.  I got most of his clothes used (including some Old Navy and Gap items) on ebay.  I think I've spent about $100, but I got like 10 pairs of jeans and about 20 shirts.  All of them are in like-new condition. 

thebailiffs
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 11:56 AM
Yes, when we go back to school it is usually over 100 degrees and the kids play outside.

Never really thought about it all of the kids dress that way.
Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 1:00 PM

My kids wear uniforms to school so that takes care of the whole brand name issue.  I buy what I can from the Used Uniform Sale that my school has every summer.  Got 2 whole bags full of clothes for $45.  The rest that I may need will come from places that sell uniform stuff such as Sears or Old Navy or even Target (ftmp they wear navy pants and white polo shirts).

As for their regular clothes outside of school, I mostly get those second hand and brand doesn't really matter too much.  I just make sure they have a few nice pieces for church on Sunday and the rest doesn't really matter what it looks like.

WesternNYmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 1:25 PM

JC Penny usually has a big back to school sale this time of  year. I get alot of great clothing for the kids there for 50-70% off.   I shop the clearance racks and I usually end up spending about  $200 between both kids.  I usually sort through the kids clothing before going out shopping, and just purchase what they need.  Usually they just need a couple pairs of jeans, a few new tops, some socks, and under pants.  I will also allow my kids to pick out one item that they would love to have for school (ds a cool shirt that he really wants, and dd a shirt, skirt, or casual dress that she really wants).  My mother always did this and I continue the tradition with my kids.  My only rule is that the item can't be out of the price range I set.  I also find great deals at Kohls, Tjmaxx (great place to find affordable jackets for children),  Burlington Coat Factory (the clearance section is a gold mind for tee shirts, long sleeved tees, sweatshirts, and sweaters for kids).   For shoes, I usually shop at either payless, or the sketchers outlet store.   Also, if you go onto these store's websites, you can download coupons to print and use in the stores.  I saved over $100 last year combining sale prices with store coupons.

nikabear
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 1:32 PM
My two younger ones wear uniforms and we add to those every year. I get them from target and the childrens place and spent about 150.00 on those. They also get three pairs of shoes. My oldest is 15 and she loves aeropostle and stores like that so it all depends on what she wants.......
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizkit_fanky
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 1:34 PM
I got most of dd's clothes from Gabriel brothers, Burke's, and Aeropostale...I just bought her summer stuff for now....We usually go fall/winter shopping in September...I have yet to get her shoes
KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 1:36 PM
Dds birthday is August 25. The family will hook her up. :P
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OHgirlinCA
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I have 3 children.  My daughter is fine with clothing.  She's 17.  My 14 year old needs jeans and some new shoes.  I've been waiting until right before school starts because he is growing like a weed!  My 5 year old is starting Kindergarten.  I've bought him some new jeans but he doesn't need anything else.  I supplement the clothing they need, but I'm not about to go out and spend hundreds of dollars on unneeded items or so that my kids will have the absolute best in clothing.  They are clean, presentable, and happy. 

I look for sales, coupons online, and such.  I usually end up at Old Navy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)