Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Student-Teacher Ratio

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:21 AM
  • 42 Replies

What grade is your child in and what is the average class size?

My first child will be attended public schools this year in Kindergarten and the average class size is 15.

by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JeremysMom
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:24 AM
Wow, that is really good. In kindergarten my son's class size was 22 with a parapro. He is in second grade now and I don't know the exact number but it will probably be between 22-25 students in his classroom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StudentofLife
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:28 AM

We're very lucky to live in an area with award winning schools. I am not sure what the average is that is why I asked. I think for me, 15 students seems like a lot. I am not sure if there are any assistance in the classroom. I do know they send in extra teachers for different areas like art and music, but I don't know if that is a full time thing.

This is our first experience with school so it's a whole new world for the both of us!

Quoting JeremysMom:

Wow, that is really good. In kindergarten my son's class size was 22 with a parapro. He is in second grade now and I don't know the exact number but it will probably be between 22-25 students in his classroom.

AidanTiarra
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:35 AM
My son was in a local public school for kindergarten and had 36 kids in his class with no aids or anything. It is amazing his teacher was able to do anything.
We switched to a charter school when he went to first grade and he had 24 kids, that year my daughter was in kindergarten and had 17 kids. Both teachers had aids as well as multiple parent volunteers almost daily. This year they will be in first and second grade and they should have between 20-24 kids in their classes.

Quoting StudentofLife:

We're very lucky to live in an area with award winning schools. I am not sure what the average is that is why I asked. I think for me, 15 students seems like a lot. I am not sure if there are any assistance in the classroom. I do know they send in extra teachers for different areas like art and music, but I don't know if that is a full time thing.

This is our first experience with school so it's a whole new world for the both of us!

Quoting JeremysMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StudentofLife
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Wow! 36 kids!

Quoting AidanTiarra:

My son was in a local public school for kindergarten and had 36 kids in his class with no aids or anything. It is amazing his teacher was able to do anything.
We switched to a charter school when he went to first grade and he had 24 kids, that year my daughter was in kindergarten and had 17 kids. Both teachers had aids as well as multiple parent volunteers almost daily. This year they will be in first and second grade and they should have between 20-24 kids in their classes.

Quoting StudentofLife:

Quoting JeremysMom:

melisawoosley
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:44 AM
Dd was in kindergarten last year and there were 24 students with one aide in the class
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Our school had a really good student/teacher ratio prior to last school year when they suffered nearly a million dollars in budget cuts.  We went from 5 teachers per grade level in elementary to 4 teachers per grade level in elementary.  This moved the number of students per teacher from 20 or less to around 25.  Kindergarten was the largest class last year and there were 27 students per every teacher.  That was very difficult.  As the kids get older, it is much easier for the teacher to have more students, but for kindergarten that is awful in my book.

lwalker270
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:46 AM

My boys haven't started school yet this year, so I'm not sure.  I do know in our district class size is capped at 25 and last year they were in first and third grades and both had 23 students per class.  

robynjavan7104
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM
My sons going into third grade and his class size is anywhere from 18-25 kids. That's really good considering most schools in nyc are overcrowded.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StudentofLife
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:49 AM

They sent the ratios of all the grades home in a newsletter. I am not sure if his classroom actually has 15 students or if it's more or less, that is the average they stated.

Quoting lwalker270:

My boys haven't started school yet this year, so I'm not sure.  I do know in our district class size is capped at 25 and last year they were in first and third grades and both had 23 students per class.  

aj23
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:50 AM
My son is in kindergarten this year and there are 16 kids in each of the classes. I was considering the private school here but they have over 25 kids in their classes which is a big difference.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN