Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What joys have YOU discovered as a parent of older kids?

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 9:51 AM
  • 18 Replies

10 Fantastic Perks of Being a Mom to Older Kids

Posted by Jill Smokler

Back when I was the one with little babies, I used to feel sorry for people with older kids who didn't capture random glances at the mall. Life must have been so sad for those people, I naively thought, who no longer have the cute kids as their own! Snort. Now that Lily is 8, I'm beginning to see the merits to having older kids. Here's what I've discovered so far, and I'm looking forward to many, many more.

1. I can sleep in! Or at least not get up the second the kids do now that they can grab breakfast on their own and turn on the TV. Such a beautiful thing.

2. They can dress themselves. Sure, they may look a tad mismatched, but at least I don't have to assist.

3. I get more than a "good" when I ask how their day was. (Or at least with my daughter I do.)

4. They can navigate the DVR. And, help me in doing so.

5. I can embarrass them, and have a blast doing it.

6. I can enjoy watching TV with them. Hello, Brady Bunch reruns and so long, Dora and Caillou!

7. They can shower alone and I no longer become drenched during bath time.

8. They understand consequences and can be reasoned with. Sometimes.

9. They can read to themselves. Buh-bye, Dr. Seuss.

10. They can do chores. I mean, that's almost reason enough to have another one.

What joys have YOU discovered as a parent of older kids?

by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natesmom1228
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I can run errands and not have to drag him with me if he doesn't want to go. He has no problems staying home alone.

story0702
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:25 AM

They are involved in more activities and can really communicate what is going on with their thoughts and feelings

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I love having older kids for all the reasons listed.  I would not want to go though those toddler years again.  Ugh.

deadlights86
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:32 AM
My 7 and 8 year olds still watch barney calliou and dora. And my 8 yo cant find his clothes much less put them on correctly course dh cant find them either. Top drawers guys. Wow none of this list seems to apply to my kids I didn't realize how delayed they were.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
praisinghim2day
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:37 AM

lol I completely agree with all of these!  Including what another mom said about not HAVING to take the kids with me to run to the store. (they're 16, 12 and the baby will be 10 on the 23rd) 

Another thing I like is being able to play board games with them like Battleship, Monopoly, Pictureka, Scrabble (you get the idea)... buh-bye Chutes & Ladders, Memory and CandyLand! :D

ShelbysHope76
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Wow, they can turn on the TV and DVD by themselves, they can get their own snacks and milk, I actually get to read while they are in the pool, they can clean their own rooms. And, they talk with me, not to me. We talk about everything.

ShelbysHope76
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Quoting deadlights86:

My 7 and 8 year olds still watch barney calliou and dora. And my 8 yo cant find his clothes much less put them on correctly course dh cant find them either. Top drawers guys. Wow none of this list seems to apply to my kids I didn't realize how delayed they were.

Let go momma, let them do for themselves and correct if need be!! Not delayed I am sure, just used to momma doing for them. I was the same way and am trying VERY HARD to let go of some of the control.

deadlights86
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:44 AM
Well the oldest has down syndrome and my 7 yo has autism so I knew they were delayed a bit but not that much they act very much like my 3 yo that also has autism.

Quoting ShelbysHope76:

Quoting deadlights86:

Let go momma, let them do for themselves and correct if need be!! Not delayed I am sure, just used to momma doing for them. I was the same way and am trying VERY HARD to let go of some of the control.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShelbysHope76
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Quoting deadlights86:

Well the oldest has down syndrome and my 7 yo has autism so I knew they were delayed a bit but not that much they act very much like my 3 yo that also has autism.

Quoting ShelbysHope76:

Quoting deadlights86:

I understand, didn't mean to offend. Strike what I said.

deadlights86
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 11:11 AM
Oh no its fine some things they really need to grow up on especially getting dressed. My 7 yo is pretty high functioning there isn't much reason he can't get dressed maybe he's just lazy cause he's picked his own clothes and put them on before and the outfit actually matched but I think that was coincidence.

Quoting ShelbysHope76:

Quoting deadlights86:

Quoting ShelbysHope76:

Quoting deadlights86:

I understand, didn't mean to offend. Strike what I said.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)