Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Is your 3rd and 4th grader still in a booster?

My now almost 10 year old is in 4th grade this year.  He weighs 78 lbs and is 4 ft 8 inches tall.  This year when it came time for school to start he came to my husband and I and asked that he not be in a low back booster anymore.  I know in our school he was the only kid in the 3rd grade in an lbb and he took alot of flack from it.  My husband and I made the decision that enough was enough and we began letting him ride in just the seatbelt.  For us him being made fun of (which he is already a very sensitive child) was just too much.  So what are your opinions?  Here is a pic of him in his seat ready for school.

by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:01 PM
Replies (11-20):
CrazedMomof2
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:07 PM

No my 3rd and 5th grader are not.

melisawoosley
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm no carseat Nazi, but if it were my child getting made fun of vs safe, they'd be safe. Same principle as wearing a helmet and pads when riding a bike. I caught flack for that, but I wore mine anyway for safety reasons. I agree the belt doesnt fitproperly

Quoting superwoman8977:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

The seat belt doesn't fit him right. If he was my child he would be boostered.

So you would let your child be made fun of...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
superwoman8977
by Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:07 PM

May I mention he was the only kid in 2nd, only kid in 3rd and now 4th to be in a lbb.  Not to mention he has had it and gets upset everytime he has to ride in one and refuses to. 

CrazedMomof2
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this

California Law (Effective 01/01/2012):

Children under the age of 8 must be secured in a car seat or booster seat in the back seat.

Children under the age of 8 who are 4' 9" or taller may be secured by a safety belt in the back seat.

mama91605
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes I would. Although my kid knows why she is still booster, because it makes her safe.

Quoting superwoman8977:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

So you would let your child be made fun of...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:09 PM
Can you lower the seat belt when it attaches to the vehicle? If you can it might fit him better
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dimples04
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:09 PM
2 moms liked this
My 8 yr old 3rd grader is in a high back booster. She doesn't complain because I educate her on why it is important. Your son needs a booster.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmw29
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this
My son is 11 going into the 6th grade and still sits in a booster. He feels safer that way and doesn't give a rat's ass who thinks it's funny.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JeremysMom
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:10 PM
2 moms liked this
You are the parent, be one. If he refuses insist on consequences. I would rather my son be alive and be made fun of rather than be cool but dead.

Quoting superwoman8977:

May I mention he was the only kid in 2nd, only kid in 3rd and now 4th to be in a lbb.  Not to mention he has had it and gets upset everytime he has to ride in one and refuses to. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SahmTam
by Tammy on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids are going into 6th, 3rd, and 2nd and are all still in boosters. My oldest (12) is 4'8", but only 63 lbs. The seat belt strap would cut into his neck without a booster, so he's still in it. As long as the seat belt strap isn't positioned right without a booster they'll be in one. Other kids have never commented on it, but then they ride the bus most of the time and in the drop off circle no one is looking into the van.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN