Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Is your 3rd and 4th grader still in a booster?

My now almost 10 year old is in 4th grade this year.  He weighs 78 lbs and is 4 ft 8 inches tall.  This year when it came time for school to start he came to my husband and I and asked that he not be in a low back booster anymore.  I know in our school he was the only kid in the 3rd grade in an lbb and he took alot of flack from it.  My husband and I made the decision that enough was enough and we began letting him ride in just the seatbelt.  For us him being made fun of (which he is already a very sensitive child) was just too much.  So what are your opinions?  Here is a pic of him in his seat ready for school.

by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:01 PM
Replies (21-30):
mama91605
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM
3 moms liked this
If it was my child I would simply say get over it, its not my child's choice, its mine and aslo my responsibility to keep them safe. My 1 yr old fights me to get in her care seat, so should I let her just sit in the seat.

Quoting superwoman8977:

May I mention he was the only kid in 2nd, only kid in 3rd and now 4th to be in a lbb.  Not to mention he has had it and gets upset everytime he has to ride in one and refuses to. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cguffey
by New Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM
2 moms liked this

My daughter is going into the 6th grade. She is 4 ft 3in and weighs 65 lbs. She still rides in one and it doesn't seem to bother her. Her friends never see her get in and out of my truck. But I would much rather her be safe.

VintageWife
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:15 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting superwoman8977:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

The seat belt doesn't fit him right. If he was my child he would be boostered.

So you would let your child be made fun of...

Being made fun of vs decapitation?!? I'll choose the making fun.

I live close to you (in cities) and my son is in 4th and still boostered so he's not the only kid in the state still boostered. I can't believe how many mom's are backing down from safety measures because their kids might have a bully talk mean to them. Oh well, I don't care if other people comment on my kids being in proper seats. When my children survive something they "shouldn't" have because they were properly seated, then ya'll can tell me if it's still weird or wrong.

BTW, I don't usually get rude with people on here, but it's insulting that you asked her (and anyone else making the same choice pretty much) if we'd let our kids be made fun of. We aren't "letting" anything. Bullies are bullies. I guess if they don't like my kid, they'll make fun whether it's a carseat or a shirt they have on. They are the ones in the wrong, not me or my kid.

MrsSexyCurtains
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:17 PM
Dd is 6 and still in a harness car seat. She's only 35 lbs and short for her age. I'm short too so that's where she gets it from. I think she will be in a booster seat until 4 or 5 grade.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
superwoman8977
by Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Quoting VintageWife:

Quoting superwoman8977:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I live close to you (in cities) and my son is in 4th and still boostered so he's not the only kid in the state still boostered. I can't believe how many mom's are backing down from safety measures because their kids might have a bully talk mean to them. Oh well, I don't care if other people comment on my kids being in proper seats. When my children survive something they "shouldn't" have because they were properly seated, then ya'll can tell me if it's still weird or wrong.

BTW, I don't usually get rude with people on here, but it's insulting that you asked her (and anyone else making the same choice pretty much) if we'd let our kids be made fun of. We aren't "letting" anything. Bullies are bullies. I guess if they don't like my kid, they'll make fun whether it's a carseat or a shirt they have on. They are the ones in the wrong, not me or my kid.

The ones making fun of him arent bullies, they are his friends.  And he has to see them everyday.  Its nerve wracking. 

sunnyflower417
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:19 PM
2 moms liked this
Their safety is WAY more important.

Quoting superwoman8977:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:21 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting superwoman8977:

Quoting VintageWife:

Quoting superwoman8977:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

The ones making fun of him arent bullies, they are his friends.  And he has to see them everyday.  Its nerve wracking. 

Then they aren't true friends. I have to explain that to my son all the time. He'll say his "friend" made fun of him for something and I have to remind him that it isn't a friend. Don't get me wrong, friends can have good-natured ribbing about inside jokes, but not making fun of someone for wearing a proper belt or seat.

sunnyflower417
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:22 PM
2 moms liked this
My son is going into 6th, no way on earth would I jeopardize his safety because people were being mean, and they definetly couldn't pick on him if he was dead.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:39 PM
3 moms liked this
Why not empower him and help him learn to navigate when people aren't nice

Quoting superwoman8977:

Quoting VintageWife:

Quoting superwoman8977:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JeremysMom
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:41 PM
4 moms liked this
From your OWN profile page-
what I do believe is that every child needs to be in a properly installed, proper carseat for their height and weight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)