Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is your 3rd and 4th grader still in a booster?

My now almost 10 year old is in 4th grade this year.  He weighs 78 lbs and is 4 ft 8 inches tall.  This year when it came time for school to start he came to my husband and I and asked that he not be in a low back booster anymore.  I know in our school he was the only kid in the 3rd grade in an lbb and he took alot of flack from it.  My husband and I made the decision that enough was enough and we began letting him ride in just the seatbelt.  For us him being made fun of (which he is already a very sensitive child) was just too much.  So what are your opinions?  Here is a pic of him in his seat ready for school.

by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:01 PM
Replies (301-310):
brittani
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 3:51 PM
Oh my goodness. Ds have never taken his seatbelt off.

Quoting banana-bear:

If he is almost 4ft. and is all legs/short torso (like you said), he would surely fit into the Britax Frontier 85. My oldest is taller than your son with a super long torso and still fits into the Frontier. Just saying that he could go back into a harness, you you wanted him to. But if he sits in his booster just fine, there is no need. My daughter said she wanted to die and tried to remove her seat belt....yeah, not okay in a booster. I had to buy her the Frontier to keep her safe in the car.

Quoting brittani:

I'll have to look into that for my next child. When ds needed one they didn't have any to fit him. He defiantly wouldn't fit in one now

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
banana-bear
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 3:54 PM

It's strange, for sure. For being only 6 years old, she has quite the fascination with death. Something we are monitoring since it doesn't "fit" into any diagnoses and it's not related to the diagnoses that she has already.

Quoting brittani:

Oh my goodness. Ds have never taken his seatbelt off.
CHDMommy3
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 11:11 PM

For all of you that keep saying the most stupid things on this topic..........

MommeisQueen
by Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:12 AM

I have a third grader who is also out of the booster but I would just think about what lesson that is teaching? 

tel4him
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 6:23 AM

My 8 year old (going into 4th grade) has not been in a booster for a while.

lizzig
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 9:06 AM

my daughter will be 9 in a few days & just moved out of her booster.

jmabal71
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 6:35 PM
My 4th and 5th graders are still in boosters. Neither of them meet height or weight requirement just age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mispulgas68
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 6:38 PM
Both my kids been out of booster my 10 year old since she was in first grade now she's in 5 and my 8 year old same she was in 1 right now she pass to 3 both are tall girls
KRISTIN0727
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 2:14 AM
My oldest is in 2nd grade and in the frontier 85 with 5 pt harness. I'd rather he be safe even if he were to get teased. He is about 4ft 2in so he will probably be in one until age 10 (since they need to be 4ft 9in to fit the seatbelt okay.
Tracys2
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 8:50 AM

My 2nd grader is in a booster, he is 4'4" and I will put him in a low-back booster soon.

He only switched to a booster from the 5-pt harness about a year ago, maybe less, because he is all torso and the Nautilus was no longer fitting him correctly. But the same "all torso"ness means he will be tall enough for the belt to hit him right early.

I do want them to stay safe, but I find it weird that many of the adults we know that are about 5' tall are close to the same height and even sit in the front seat. My friend who is a vet and 5'1" had to get a special car to fit her height and have a switchable airbag, since she's safer without one. Crazy! (my father is 6'7" and has a special car as well since he doesn't fit in 95% of the cars out there)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)