Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Is your 3rd and 4th grader still in a booster?

My now almost 10 year old is in 4th grade this year.  He weighs 78 lbs and is 4 ft 8 inches tall.  This year when it came time for school to start he came to my husband and I and asked that he not be in a low back booster anymore.  I know in our school he was the only kid in the 3rd grade in an lbb and he took alot of flack from it.  My husband and I made the decision that enough was enough and we began letting him ride in just the seatbelt.  For us him being made fun of (which he is already a very sensitive child) was just too much.  So what are your opinions?  Here is a pic of him in his seat ready for school.

by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:01 PM
Replies (31-40):
careyphotoo
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:46 PM
3 moms liked this
If those kids are picking on him for that then there not true friends and shouldn't be around your son! I can't believe that your more worried about your son getting picked on then his safety in a car.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PhoebemomofBRDM
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:50 PM
This. My 9 year old (going into 5th) is still boostered. She's asked, and I checked to see if she was ready, and she's not.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

The seat belt doesn't fit him right. If he was my child he would be boostered.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this

That seat belt does not fit him right and would not provide protection in an accident.

Better to have a child who has to deal with annoying peers than one with catastrophic seat belt syndrom injuries.

As you can see below - he does not pass the 5 step test.

Boosters Are For Big Kids

Most kids need to ride in a booster seat from about age 4 until age 10-12.

If your child isn’t using a booster, try the simple test below the next time you

ride together in the car. You may find that your child is not yet ready to use a

safety belt without a booster.

The 5-Step Test

1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?

2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?

3. Does the belt cross the shoulder between the neck and arm?

4. Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?

5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

If you answered "no" to any of these questions, your child needs a booster seat

to make both the shoulder belt and the lap belt fit right for the best crash

protection. Your child will be more comfortable, too!

For best protection, all children should ride in the back seat until they are ready

to drive. It's twice as safe as the front seat.

SafetyBeltSafe

U.S.A.

P.O. Box 553, Altadena, CA 91003 www.carseat.org

310/222-6860, 800/745-SAFE (English) 310/222-6862, 800/747-SANO (Spanish)

Kris_PBG
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 7:00 PM
3 moms liked this

My son is going into second grade, but is boostered in a high back booster.  I can guaruntee he will still be boostered in 3rd grade and most likely in 4th as well.

He will be boostered until he passes the 5 step test, as before then he would not be safe without one.

Kris_PBG
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Exactly!

This is turning a lost "teachable moment" into a dangerous one!

Quoting Roo1234:

Why not empower him and help him learn to navigate when people aren't nice

Quoting superwoman8977:

Quoting VintageWife:

Quoting superwoman8977:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

So you would let your child be made fun of...

Being made fun of vs decapitation?!? I'll choose the making fun.

I live close to you (in cities) and my son is in 4th and still boostered so he's not the only kid in the state still boostered. I can't believe how many mom's are backing down from safety measures because their kids might have a bully talk mean to them. Oh well, I don't care if other people comment on my kids being in proper seats. When my children survive something they "shouldn't" have because they were properly seated, then ya'll can tell me if it's still weird or wrong.

BTW, I don't usually get rude with people on here, but it's insulting that you asked her (and anyone else making the same choice pretty much) if we'd let our kids be made fun of. We aren't "letting" anything. Bullies are bullies. I guess if they don't like my kid, they'll make fun whether it's a carseat or a shirt they have on. They are the ones in the wrong, not me or my kid.

The ones making fun of him arent bullies, they are his friends.  And he has to see them everyday.  Its nerve wracking. 

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 7:09 PM
3 moms liked this

Just another thought, what would it teach him if you let him get out of the booster because he was being teased?  "Oh, I should just go along with the crowd so I don't get teased."  So if he's 16 and they are teasing him for not wearing a seat belt he will think back to when he was last teased and the solution (do what they want).  I would rather teach my child to stand up against the teasing than give in to peer pressure.

And it sounds like he needs new friends.

superwoman8977
by Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JeremysMom:

From your OWN profile page-
what I do believe is that every child needs to be in a properly installed, proper carseat for their height and weight.

Yeah and I do believe that but come on hes almost 10 years old. I cant believe how people freak out.  If we lived in our hometown we would be riding around in the back of a pickup truck on the farm.  People really freak out over nothing. 

MomVsBoys
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

My 9.5 ds is still in a booster, we got him one that is very "low-profile" for lack of a better term.  Our van's rear seat has an adjustment for the seat belts for older children and small adults (quote from the manual) so if he sits in the back he's fine.  Otherwise he uses the small booster, however, in dh's pick-up he still has a high back one (we let him choose so that he'd comfortable) because there is no way to adjust the belts and the rear seat has no head rest to protect his head from snapping back in an accident.

momto3infl
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I agree with what you did-bullies in school are the worst.

jcampbell288
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 7:11 PM
3 moms liked this

im 25 yrs old and 5 ft 3. the seatbelt still doenst fit me right.... i am NOT sitting in a booster

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN