Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Is your 3rd and 4th grader still in a booster?

My now almost 10 year old is in 4th grade this year.  He weighs 78 lbs and is 4 ft 8 inches tall.  This year when it came time for school to start he came to my husband and I and asked that he not be in a low back booster anymore.  I know in our school he was the only kid in the 3rd grade in an lbb and he took alot of flack from it.  My husband and I made the decision that enough was enough and we began letting him ride in just the seatbelt.  For us him being made fun of (which he is already a very sensitive child) was just too much.  So what are your opinions?  Here is a pic of him in his seat ready for school.

by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:01 PM
Replies (41-50):
kblpooh
by Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter will be 9 on Thurs. She is still in a booster. She's not tall enough. The problem we ran into is the the arm rest part was making the seat too small for her. My friend had a booster that the arms go up. So we traded seats since her daughter is tiny and younger.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama91605
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 7:18 PM
2 moms liked this
Umm since when does a child not being protected in a car crash equal nothing. Smh makes no since to me.

Quoting superwoman8977:

Quoting JeremysMom:

From your OWN profile page-

what I do believe is that every child needs to be in a properly installed, proper carseat for their height and weight.

Yeah and I do believe that but come on hes almost 10 years old. I cant believe how people freak out.  If we lived in our hometown we would be riding around in the back of a pickup truck on the farm.  People really freak out over nothing. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama91605
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this
You are also an adult with a fully developed adult body.

Quoting jcampbell288:

im 25 yrs old and 5 ft 3. the seatbelt still doenst fit me right.... i am NOT sitting in a booster

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

The seat belt doesn't fit him right. If he was my child he would be boostered.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this

SMH - being "almost 10" has nothing to do with the fact that he is NOT ready for a booster.

The laws of physics don't really care about his age or his feelings - lack of protection is lack of protection in an accident.

If you are in a crash and he has injuries due to the fact that you are letting bullies dictate how safe you keep your child I doubt it will feel like "freaking out over nothing".

Quoting superwoman8977:

Quoting JeremysMom:

what I do believe is that every child needs to be in a properly installed, proper carseat for their height and weight.

Yeah and I do believe that but come on hes almost 10 years old. I cant believe how people freak out.  If we lived in our hometown we would be riding around in the back of a pickup truck on the farm.  People really freak out over nothing. 

jcampbell288
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this

My 7 yr old is no longer required to use a booster. We do have one in the back of the the car. but we dont use it. I say let the boy be. everything can be seen as dangerous in one way or another

BaBeezandMe
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this
If you think that's nerve wracking, imagine how wracked your nerves would be if you got in an accident and it was fatal for him!

Quoting superwoman8977:

Quoting VintageWife:

Quoting superwoman8977:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

So you would let your child be made fun of...

Being made fun of vs decapitation?!? I'll choose the making fun.

I live close to you (in cities) and my son is in 4th and still boostered so he's not the only kid in the state still boostered. I can't believe how many mom's are backing down from safety measures because their kids might have a bully talk mean to them. Oh well, I don't care if other people comment on my kids being in proper seats. When my children survive something they "shouldn't" have because they were properly seated, then ya'll can tell me if it's still weird or wrong.

BTW, I don't usually get rude with people on here, but it's insulting that you asked her (and anyone else making the same choice pretty much) if we'd let our kids be made fun of. We aren't "letting" anything. Bullies are bullies. I guess if they don't like my kid, they'll make fun whether it's a carseat or a shirt they have on. They are the ones in the wrong, not me or my kid.

The ones making fun of him arent bullies, they are his friends.  And he has to see them everyday.  Its nerve wracking. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Xynyth
by Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 7:23 PM
2 moms liked this

That seatbelt clearly doesn't fit him right. Ask yourself if it will be worth it if he gets injured in a car accident.

careyphotoo
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 7:27 PM
1 mom liked this
We're freaking out for a reason because your putting your sons life at risk because he's getting picked on. Really that's when you teach your son right from wrong and about car safety. Yeah you drive around on a farm in the back of a truck but that's not the main the main roads where you don't know what other people are going to do or how there going to react in the car. I've seen a little girl almost die in a car accident with a car seat and I could only imagine if she wasn't in one she wouldn't be here today.

Quoting superwoman8977:

Quoting JeremysMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
STKsMomma
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 7:39 PM
The sell these things at walmart that clip on that make the seatbelt lay different on the neck. I know because I use them for ME in all my vehicles as seatbelts don't sit where they are supposed to on my shoulder.
As for YOUR child. It is your decision and I would say aslong as he is within the limits for your state then no problem. I would say that if he is not in the limits and should by law be in a booster then get a no back one that matches the color of your seats. And tell your son that you would rather he wasn't teased BUT the law is the law and you don't want to break it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jiffypop2207
by Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this
So you would risk your child being seriously injured or killed?

Quoting superwoman8977:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

So you would let your child be made fun of...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN