Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do you make your child do workbooks or work on the upcoming year during the Summer????

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 53 Replies

My daughter will be in the first grade so I bought her a 1st grade readiness book and try to make her work in it a couple days a week. And not for a long time, just a couple pages. She knows most of it but it is like pulling teeth to try to get her to do it and then she will get side tracked and say she cant do it and I know she can. I end up getting upset because I want her to focus and to learn. Maybe I shouldnt make her do this during the summer. But I just want her to be prepared!

by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-StarsChildren-
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 12:10 AM

We do school year-round, homeschooling, off and on all year (summers included). Sometimes it's like pulling teeth, but if you turn it into a game and fun time, it gets easier.

Kris_PBG
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 12:14 AM
Nope. As a teacher, I do no find most if them valuable, especially as those workbooks rarely even match up with standards that are taught.

Reading books is our main form of academic enrichment over summer.
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Aug. 9, 2012 at 12:15 AM

No

aimhawk
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 12:15 AM

DD ended up with two Kindergarten workbooks. Lol. She finished the first one the week she got out of PreK, so I bought her a bigger one. She starts Kindergarten tomorrow.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 12:32 AM

DD works on her books while we are doing day trips. It helps kill the time in car.   I dont make her do anything but will offer it with her crayons or markers to work on a few pages.  She doesnt go in order so you will see a page here, a page there already done LOL.

I also checked with her K teacher about the worksbooks to work on during summer.  We went to the local education school so they know the curriculum for our school district.

banana-bear
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 12:35 AM

No, not for the next year. But they do daily worksheets (about 1-2/day in the morning, M-F) to continue last year's learning just to make sure they don't forget or fall back any.

vermontmoms
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 12:42 AM
Yes, but I don't buy workbooks. I google summer packet and their grade and tons of great free useful worksheets pop right up. I print different ones and they work on them all summer. This summer we have also done tons of flashcards multiplication and division facts b/c they are going into 3rd.

I also printed cursive worksheets for them too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tracys2
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 8:27 AM

I was conflicted. My son, he needs to practice his writing, so I've bought him workbooks that make it more fun than anything I could come up with. We did a little of it last Summer. This Summer, he specifically asked for something, but he wanted math (of course). He ended up with a math book he breezed through and some multiplication flash cards he played with for a while.

My daughter got jealous, of course, and since she won't name her letters (if she knows them) and is going into K, I bought her a little book with letters and stuff you can color (like 'color in everything with a letter K'), which is very like what they did in K with my son. She was in LOVE and did every page.

When they get older, I will stop buying this stuff (because when becomes a chore, pushing it begins to become counter-productive), but right now they think it's fun, so I don't mind spending a few dollars on something that addresses their weak points or a specific interest, and gives them something to do on a rainy day.

Xynyth
by Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 8:33 AM
My kids beg for them. They love doing the workbooks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 8:34 AM
I do, but it's mainly books on reading comprehension and writing. I also keep math curriculum at home and they work continuously. We don't do a lot, but one subject a day for an hour or so. As others have said, reading is the biggie.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN