Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do you make your child do workbooks or work on the upcoming year during the Summer????

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter will be in the first grade so I bought her a 1st grade readiness book and try to make her work in it a couple days a week. And not for a long time, just a couple pages. She knows most of it but it is like pulling teeth to try to get her to do it and then she will get side tracked and say she cant do it and I know she can. I end up getting upset because I want her to focus and to learn. Maybe I shouldnt make her do this during the summer. But I just want her to be prepared!

by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 10:14 PM
DD has a math tutor (she really struggled in 1st grade last year). Instaed of giving her "work" to do, I've been having her write letters. We started with postcards during vacation and has been going well. Tonight she wrote a note to my cousin who just got married and we put some pictures in it too. Tomorrow she'll be writing to the bride's mom as we have pictures for her too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littleangie
by Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 8:52 AM

I think it is a great idea!  It keeps her skills sharp and gets her in the habit of maintaining and preparing throughout the year and not just 9 or 10 months.  I know it is going to be a struggle, but it is a good habit for her to get into.  Good luck!

skittles2011
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:18 AM

my son is in first grade this year and during the summer he had several work books to work in. i didnt force him to do it, i let him do it at his own pace and he finished 3 books while on summer vacation.

DomsMom8207
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 10:49 AM
Yes i made packets from kidzone.com and had him do a packet everyday except on weekends. There was a time when i was a lil sick so he went a week without doing them and forgot how to hold his pencil. So now even if im sick i make him do it because kids forget things easily.

toddler boy

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Yes, but it is not pulling teeth.  I also have a rising 1st grader.  She really likes the "The Summer Before" series.  There is a  good variety and even though the work is easy for her, it keeps her reading, writing, etc.  and has introduced her to some new concepts not taught in K.  We also keep up with reading and fit math in with board games and the Olympics.

WesternNYmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I don't make my kids to work sheets, but I encourage them to read 30mins everynight, and we play educational board games to work on math skills.  My kids especially love games where you have to count money like Monopoly, and Life.  I also taught dd to play rummy, and taught her how to add up her score.  Scrabble is also a great game for teach kids spelling and how to form words.

Karen2313
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Both of my boys used them through 1st grade. They helped tremendously. They both loved working in the books too. My youngest son is in first grade now and is currently useing one.

Karenlefty
Morrigan333
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Yeppers! Ever since third grade. She hates me for it, but she's way more prepared than if she didn't.

ceciliam
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 5:39 PM

My son is also going into 1st grade and I did the same exact thing. I even went on to our schools website, to get the list of sight words, that they will be learning in 1st grade, so he could get a jump start on those.

I think it's smart to review what they've learned and preview what they will be learning. And, the workbooks make for good supplementation through-out the school year.

othermom
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I don't always make them, but they have a bunch of them that they do sometimes fro fun. They also read some too

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN