Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My soon-to-be 4th grader resists wearing a bra

Posted by   + Show Post

My 9 year old is having a hard time getting used to the idea that she NEEDS a bra.  She simply won't wear one unless I insist, and even then there is whining, complaining, crying, screaming, etc.  And it's not just bras: she hates any sort of layering under her shirt (sports bras, camis, etc.).  But she is an early bloomer and her "growth" has become evident to the point of being embarrassing at times (at least for me, not for her, it seems).

When school (4th grade) starts in a few weeks she will be wearing a white shirt as part of her school uniform.  I don't know of any school rules, but I am concerned about teasing if she goes bare under her shirt.  How can I handle this situation?

by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 9:18 PM
Replies (211-216):
Mawanji
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I was EXACTLY like her.  For me, what happen was my father simply said, if you want to play basketball you need to wear a bra.  You have once week to figure out what you want to do.  Needless to say I picked out sports bra's and wore them. 

My suggestion is pick something she loves and give her a choice - wear the bra and not do this.  It worked for me.  I was a big tom boy and HATED the whole bra thing. 

Good luck!

Kiabell
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 1:53 PM
LOL I was the same way. My mom told me that if I didn't wear one then my breast would grow down to my knees and that did the trick.
proudmomoffour
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 4:37 PM

With my girls I've never quite been sure WHEN to get a bra because there's always sort of an awkward stage where it's sort of needed, and sort of isn'.  I sort of think THEY need to decide if they are ready.  I would probably check to see if anything is visible through her school shirt.  If yes, then she needs to wear something underneath (not necessarily a bra).  If no, I would let it go for a while.

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 7:59 AM

At 9 it needs to be only a sports bra and plain and simple she needs to know it is part of her uniform and you treat it as you do anything else if she disobeys.  No argument it simply is how it is and she needs to comply.

baileymarie723
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:09 PM
My DD is in 4th grade. She is developing, but isn't quite to the point of "having" to wear a bra but could wear one to get comfortable wearing one. I haven't gotten one for her yet, but she has literally been BEGGING me for one. I will be suprised if I have a problem with her wearing one when the time comes.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Ms_mom_81
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:11 PM

did you try getting her a sports bra? or maybe getting her an extra t-shirt to wear underneath?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)